Geometry Nodes

Luckily Blender seems to count the indizes first for along and the across…so you can just compare the indizes with less than like this:

2 Likes

That’s a fun one! The basic idea is to select the edges that have the same or different curve parameters depending on which selection of edges you want.

The benefit of this method is that it doesn’t depend on indices, which are really more of an implementation detail, so it’s nice to avoid depending on them.

17 Likes

mathematically correct so you can change values like this:

select edges from curve

1 Like

wow…love it

Does anybody know how to use Udims in geometry node?
It seems unsupported at the moment, does anybody have a workaround?

Thanks again, shade smooth works now. But I have final problem with material index:

Nodes:

File: pipe_cage_research.blend (197.9 KB)

Also at this point I kinda regret not just using modifier inputs and trying to do this transfer thing, haha :sweat_smile:

Because of beeing in the mode … made a nodegroup which switches between the different smoothing modes (0 nothing, 1 all, 2 original, 3 mat )
https://pasteall.org/blend/ac672e2d8f814c4cb500600ff881a947

Thank you, I would have never figured that out on my own. And as a bonus, now I see how to use the Field at Index node!

Can also use my curve sweeper (Sorry to always be plugging this but it’s pretty cool and everyone should use it (you can also use it make curve-clumps in 3.0 without the copy object node!)). It has outputs dedicated to those and you have the option to sweep the profile as points, which produces singular curves:

When not using points as profile, it uses the method described by @HooglyBoogly to make line-meshes.

Good luck.

8 Likes

random gabled roof houses -

do they look like a plausible base model for a home?

edit - wireframe

2 Likes

I am being a little pedantic here, but the roof type is technically known as a hip roof (gabled roofs are done in a way where the walls of the house have peaks on each end, a good example of which is found on traditional American wooden barns). Hip roofs though are quite common so the base mesh is in fact viable.

1 Like

Allright this helped me managed to get the bounding box size for every item in my collection
I can get a ratio and I set and integer on every point and every instances (0 : larger than whide, 1 : square , 2: wider than large).
Expect I don’t quite know how to link both, I tried this :

To filter the collection but it doesn’t work
(both green lines go to the size ratio logic, that output 0,1,or 2 for the face i want to instance on for top, and each modul in the collection on bottom and capture that)

How could I make it work ?

Edit : It’s a kind of double nested for loop, if I was talking in programming terms I guess. Maybe I have a hard time figuring it in nodes

Ah it works if I do 3 separate instance on points nodes with filter. I guess I can’t make it work for an arbitrary number of ratios.

we need join ‘psudo-collection’ - to make random choices from non collections for instance on points

obj-- \
obj---(join collection)-----------instance input on instance on point(collection) 
obj---/
1 Like

Get rid of the seperate Geometry and plug a field of instance indicies into the “instance index” of the "instance to point node.

3 Likes

Thanks ill try this after my break

The instance on points node simply picks from a set of joined instances. Use the “geometry to instance” node to create arbitrary instances from procedural geometry, then join them together with a join geometry node.

1 Like

It’s not a problem if the field depends on attributes set on the points ? I don’t seem to be able to make it work.

Simple example:

Or did i may misunderstood your question?

1 Like

I think I might have not been very clear ! If you look at this image, this is what I would like to achieve, but with this setup i need to duplicate this nodegroup for integer 0,1,2.

Basically, if the face has 1 for attribute, instantiate the instances (randomly) that have also one for attribute.

Is that clearer ?

Edit : If I could invent a node for this that would be “select indices where Attribute = X”