Geometry Nodes

a quick test with Geometry Nodes enjoy

15 Likes

This is a good example of how something still on early stages still manages to show great potential.

3 Likes

wow great… :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Is there a build available somewhere? I’d like to try it too.

Yup, at blender.org there are experimental builds, look for geometry nodes

1 Like

It is a bit hidden. You have to go to the download section of blender.org and scroll all the way down to “Go experimantal”.

I have it now thanks. I checked graphicall and I didn’t think of checking the official blender builder :slight_smile:

It’s there only from yesterday I think

@dfelinto has opened a Geometry Nodes feedback thread on devtalk. :slight_smile:
It’s nice to see community feedback being encouraged this early in the project.

2 Likes

In my previous video I had to use performance heavy Booleans operation to change forest boundaries as well as to cut through forest. After an update to Geometry Nodes branch, it’s whole another story, I can do this purely just with Weight Masks now.

8 Likes

Oh great. I can’t wait till we can manipulate vertex attributes/weights with nodes !

1 Like

You’re right, that is highly appreciated, simple setups are easy, but setups with tens of weight maps become untidy and hard to understand very quickly.

wow very impressive forest shaping! I like the “scrum” aproach they have to geometry nodes… clear short term goals and targets is a good idea. the google summer of code also has this approach and gets good results. I have avoided particle systems/hair in hope that it all gets a preset based workflow. being able to use groups in geometry nodes and transform them on a per object basis seems really fun.

some fun playing around with mixing weight maps together with Geometry Nodes

4 Likes

Really cool stuff, and this is just the beginning of Geometry Nodes.

Once particle nodes and friends get added, no one will want to go back to that dusty old clunker known as 2.90.

“Once particle nodes and friends get added, no one will want to go back to that dusty old clunker known as 2.90.”
@Ace_Dragon Future Blender releases can be more than proud of you :smiley:

A pretty neat example.

It’ll be fun to see all the crazy stuff the community does once this is more feature complete. Hopefully the asset manager will allow easily sharing node setups too (assuming the asset manager ever gets finished).

14 Likes

I dig your last video with the sliced cube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkyfLYtNgcs). I was thinking, having loops could greatly simplify that kind of setup. Of course you could always instance the slicing plane a number of times, rotate them randomly and do the boolean from that new object instead, but still. Loops would be nice. If you don’t mind me asking @Jacques_Lucke is that something you plan to support ? I know that question was asked before but since the project has notably changed since then…

Cheers,

Hadrien

Very early attempt for non-destructive cell fracturing. It’s not the best way possible and really sluggish for real time editing right now youtu.be/WkyfLYtNgcs

Oops you were faster sharing the link :slight_smile: … I’m not sure how exactly loops would make the same result as boolean operation. As far as I get it, it would make new edges on object’s mesh, but how the interior mesh would be created then?