Geometry Nodes

Any chance of a geometry file input node so we can load .obj files right in the node tree?

2 Likes

I am missing the ā€œevaluate curveā€ node from the new 3.0 builds, what is the alternative now to get a position along a curve?

I am asking because I am struggling with this problem:

any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Geometry instancing paired with curve fill is an extremely powerful tool to make designs. These 9 circular ones took me hardly 20 minutes make.

Just try plugging curve circle or star into the point instance and passing that through a curve fill.

15 Likes

Oh :eyes:

Captura de pantalla 2021-09-09 151743

4 Likes

Keep in mind that switching to fields now will mean a large regression in functionality (as the official implementation is being done from scratch). The plan is to switch things over early, so we will soon take a loss in functionality in the dev. builds, but hopefully see much of it, if not all of it restored by the time the release build comes around (as seen in Dfelintoā€™s strategy which can be found on the patch review page).

2 Likes

Hello
Iā€™m new in GN, and wonder how to add subdivision only for part of mesh? (not for whole mesh)
Can you give me an idea?

This may get you startedā€¦

These tuts are great to learn fromā€¦

1 Like

Super simple!
Thank you!
This is my fast setup

Is it possible to do that with attributes?

Hmmm, vertex groups are attributes, but I dont see a way of easily doing this without marking at least one of suzannes joined objects as a vertex group (attribute).

Maybe a separate mesh/geo, or connected verts/faces node will pop up soon?

Simple grass tuft:

grass_geonode

A geometry node and shader node system combined together with drivers.
Not ready yet. (still looking for an instance subdivision sytem by distance will scattered)
SSS and shadows are huggly in EEVEE. But change dynamicaly when the blade is drying. growing trick based on texture coordonate scale.

If anybody have a clue about subdividing method by instanced object in geometry node systemā€¦ welcome

I ll release it here for free as usual.

ps: Sorry for the memory glitch on gifā€¦ a peek bug on my hardware

15 Likes

6 Likes

Cool ! in the longer term, wouldnā€™t it make sense to get rid of object geometry types ? (mesh, curve, etc) since we can technically output any type from any other type

Yes it would make senseā€¦ But I think devs wonā€™t change that because a lot of users still donā€™t use Geometry Nodes (they find them hard, donā€™t need it, donā€™t like them, etc) but who knowsā€¦

Maybe in some very remote long term. That is at some point after all current modifiers are silently geo-node groups under the hood and the whole custom attribute workflow has been adopted everywhere throughout Blender (incl. UVs, Vcols etc.) and preferrably the current instancing-system has been overhauled.

For now and the foreseeable future, as I see it, there are lots of corner-cases in all sorts of places throughout Blender, where stuff expects a certain geometry-type and doesnā€™t work otherwise.

Examples would be instancing (on vertices or faces) wonā€™t do anything for (beveled) curve objects, you can only use mesh objects as ā€˜Start-ā€™ and ā€˜Endcapā€™ on Array-Modifiers, the whole option only works on meshes anyway (while itā€™s unfortunately not greyed out or sth. in the UI, if the modifier is e.g. on a curve obj).

Now you could try to introduce conversions where needed, maybe even implicit ones, but I donā€™t think itā€™d solve the problem. If Iā€™d take a cube (-mesh, obviously), and would type itā€™s name into the ā€˜Curve Objectā€™-Field on a Curve-Modifier I added to another object, what would Blender be supposed to do?
Implicitly convert the Cube-mesh to a curve object (which would probably consist of 12 disconnected two-vertices spline segments) and use that?
Which would probably mean one of the 12 spline segments (arbitrarily picked) would affect (deform) the other object?

Sure, I made this example up such as for it to be nonsensical on purpose. But what Iā€™m trying to say is, imho abandoning the concept of different geometry types alltogether would only be useful if the user was well aware of what theyā€™re doing and what works how and what is being converted where and how etc.

This could probably better be made possible by giving explicit conversion nodes to the user, rather than hiding the geometry-type differentiation from him/her alltogether.
Doing the latter seems prone to cause a shitload of false bugreports which take expected behaviour for a bug due to user error.

Personally, Iā€™d rather some more unification/consistency in the modifier stack (e.g. if the Displacement-modifer could work on curves and would have the ā€˜Normalsā€™-option unavailable, preferrably unless it was a beveled or extruded curve).

greetings, Kologe

1 Like

This is very cool. Would you mind revelling your geo nodes? Iā€™d love to play with the idea that you have created. Are there multiple curves in each circle?
Thanks.

1 Like

As I said, the nodes are extremely simple. All of them except the central one are basically just this setup

3 Likes

Thank you. Iā€™ve been playing with your idea / nodes for a couple of hours and then realized I hadnā€™t thanked you. Much more playing around in the future.

1 Like

So I was playing around with the switch node, and Iā€™m thinking that it would be helpful to have a node that basically does what the switch node does except it has more than two options. So instead of a switch, you would use an integer to decide which option, and it would have option1, option2, ect. instead of True and False. It took me a little bit and I was able to replicate this in a node group using some math nodes. Not sure how hard this would be to make, or if thereā€™s an easy(er) way to do this already, but I just think it could be a useful node.

2 Likes

I needed exactly the switch node, but I canā€™t find itā€¦ is it in 2.93 or is it gonna be just in 3.0?

Anyhow, I am trying to switch between different cameras using the erindale camera cull node, anyone knows how to achieve that? I need to change the camera used in the node at certain points in the timeline, or alternatively switch between different nodes where I set a different camera in each one.