Geometry Nodes

Well it was way more readable, intuitive, and universal that’s for sure.
but i believe attribute as input node is superior

1 Like

That’s what I was referring to actually :wink:
With “back then” I meant the time of the prototype version.

Don’t forget:

"To define custom attributes, we are forced to use the modifier panel. This is counter intuitive to the philosophy of everything nodes. "

2 Likes

I agree that it is cumbersome and it is yet to be added
why is so? Dalai seem to think that all these changes are better in the point of view of everything nodes

We know that when nodes like “shade smooth” come, we will have more control and not have to use the mod panel. But custom attributes will always have to be defined in the modifier ui.

Furthermore:

Custom attributes must always be defined at the top. This means that nodegroups are not easily usable as a unit. Instead, we must use individual modifiers, which takes us back to where we started before geometry nodes. Share-ability? That’s what attribute remove is for.

Add that one to your list too.

I wasn’t following the fields concept discussion. As far as I understand it was supported/approved by the community except one key part where you can’t control attributes with get/set nodes?

I remember watching Dalai explaining the new concept in a video with Pablo. Two things worried me:

• When Pablo was confused about data flow and how to use hard coded attribute nodes eventually they agreed that “it works like magic”. It’s a bad sign when you can’t explain what is going on and how system works with simple concepts.
  • Then when they went to explaining attribute inputs at modifier level it felt like both Dalai struggled explaining it and Pablo getting the idea and then they hastily switched to already fixed version of the scene.

Pretty worrying signs. I dabbled with geo nodes in 2.93 mainly for scattering and didn’t have much issues with it. But again my interaction was pretty limited.

I am really hoping they don’t decide to make it more confusing for less expirienced users. When you explain something with words “it works like magic” in this case might mean the design of the system is not as realized as possible.

2 Likes

Ha
Yet this can be seen the opposite way because the mistake of creating a non shareable nodegroup is a typical beginner mistake

Pretty worrying signs

These are abstract concepts to grasp
i think it’s quite difficult to get if you do not do programming or didn’t do a lot of procedural noodling

As far as I understand it was supported/approved by the community except one key part where you can’t control attributes with get/set nodes?

Prototype had the get/set,
it was part of the proposal, and got an overall approvement by the community by a large margin. some think it was unfair and that we didn’t gave a proper shot at the other solution, which i agree (ex processor node)

1 Like
  • The new way of working with custom attribute can be seen as un-intuitive/cumbersome/slow:
    • Going in the modifier interface or in the N Panel to choose the attribute name or changing the written domain is not intuitive.
    • It adds considerable mouse travel and extra clicks, especially if users wants their custom attribute group input, near an area of his nodegraph or if the modifier editor is not accessible.
    • It’s a nice addition but can be considered as poor as a complete replacement of the fully nodal method.

Is this Clear?

1 Like

:thinking: I would not use the argument that it requires more mouse movements and clicks. While it’s not intuitive, I think you already mentioned that.
What I mean, is that the system itself is not working, and results in a mess.

Here is what I would go with:

• The new way of working with custom attributes results in confusing trees.
    • To define custom attributes, we are forced to use the modifier panel. This is counterintuitive to the philosophy of everything nodes.
    • All custom attributes must be defined at the top. This makes nodegroups less usable as a unit and forces the use of the more linear modifiers.
    • Since modifier properties are linked to the object data, the modifier must be set up again every time it’s used. It is not possible to set an attribute as default value.

Explanation of the removal via a simple use case:

Example: Displacing a subdivided plane with a procedural noise texture, exposing some parameters of the noise, using an UVMap attribute as input to define our texture projection, a Vertex-Group is used to drive the strength of displacement. The color of the noise and a new ‘Sunshine’ attribute is written as persistent custom attribute.

any comments?
anything unclear?
anything to add?

19 Likes

Thanks for your work! I totally agree and hope they reconsider the removal of the nodes.

Note that they are completely right on the fact that playing with globals variables is dirty work and it should be avoided when possible.

I completely got their point. it’s a more philosophical debate of “Security vs Freedom” emaning. Personally, i’m all for freedom, but i’d don’t want to see plenty of beginners hurting themselves with globals because of this too.

we should find a compromise perhaps? usually this is done by teaching and experience :thinking:

1 Like

Thank you! It worked, except it was going up for some reason so I had to change from add to subtract. Not quite sure why that is.

1 Like

There are so many possibilities in Blender (and basically any other software I know) to do wrong things, break stuff, hurt the feelings of new users, etc.
But what is worse is to limit the possibilities for all users because something might go wrong for a few others, especially if there are plenty of other areas that deserve warning signs.

It’s a bit like putting you in a rocket made from broken cars, powered by explosives, held together with duct tape and barbed wire to send you in space and as a safety measure they cuff your hands to keep you from pushing “the wrong button” :joy:

5 Likes

Another argument against: Breaks the current mindset not to do new things with modifiers that they’ve been enforcing for a couple years now. They’ve shut down so many new modifiers because of everything nodes, this shouldn’t get a pass. It needs a solution that doesn’t use modifiers, if modifiers aren’t going to be a thing in the future.

4 Likes

Hah dumb me! I work with gizmos off so I do not know which way is up or down!

I in general agree with all your points, while I can personally have counter-arguments against some.

A good point against the removal of nodes I found was that the current system becomes a hassle when you have nested node-groups (I think?)

1 Like

This kind of property passing (or exporting) makes perfect sense in Houdini, where the custom attributes are defined at will and can be used as an input in the Vop containers, which is a fully procedural working paradigm with top-down node flow. I agree that needing to pass known (which are already defined in the mesh context) attributes will most likely create friction on the user side and will require scripted solutions when it comes to distributing them. On the other hand I can see that it is not out of the Blender’s design philosophy.

I just wished that I was able to add as many input and output attributes on the modifier panel instead of going inside the node network to do that. Maybe they will add that at some point.

It’s true that the argument need to be passed from group to group :thinking:

Breaks the current mindset not to do new things with modifiers that they’ve been enforcing for a couple years now.

Dalai seem to think that this is part of the plan of everything node down the line (chat) :woman_shrugging: i don’t get it either

Ha yeah i missed this argument, adding it…

Advance users shouldn’t be punished to protect beginners who still have to learn.
right below learn is the solution to resolving potential share-ability problem

edit*
news:
Dalai post is on Monday in the end

1 Like

So November comes along a few years ago and all magicians, wizards, space aliens, time travelers, and math ninjas started posting the most gobsmackingly impressive stuff made with displacement and adaptive subdivision of geometry in Cycles. A few years go by and we start hearing about Geometry nodes. It sounds like all that stuff that was confined to Cycles is going to be let loose and made applicable to real geometry in the live 3D viewport. Sounds awesome. Now the more I read about it, the more it seems they’re trying to do stuff very different from what people are familiar with from Cycles. Why?