GeoTree: Procedural Trees in Geometry Nodes

Speaking of forking…

I know you are anxious.

So here is the pre alpha version so you can get an idea.
The example does not look much but it is the concept that counts.

When you open the file be sure to play animation before looking at anything else!

TrunkSplitting_1.0_Pre_Alpha.blend (197.3 KB)

I have loads of ideas for this method and will extend it a lot.

I have not set the presets yet and need to do the UV’s, add custom taper etc

I will steal ………… Ummmmm STUDY your methods :blush:

For this version I used your trunk node to make sure it was compatible but I took the liberty of changing one thing.

Instead of the lean and bend inputs I gave your trunk a similar shaping method to my split node, it allows you to shape the trunk with 3 points. So the trunk can change direction in a certain point.

The basic concept is that I create sort of “hero branches”.

The splits use 3 points in space (well 4 if you count the “0” point).

The offset vectors control these points in local space, so X goes away form the origin Y twists and Z goes up and down.

The inputs (that are not self explanatory):

“Where to split” lets you chose an index of the trunk (if you go over the last index the splits will fly away.

The “From trunk/ From stub” checkbox changes how the initial angles are distributed.

From Stub will evenly distribute the splits in a circle.

“From Trunk” leaves out one angle for the original trunk to fit in, if you keep the original trunk you have to adjust the general “split” rotation to leave it in the missing angle.

After the noise inputs there are some offset inputs. I will change this method in the future to make it more effective.

They change the rotation and scale of individual “Split instances”, as I say they are a bit fiddly at the moment I have ideas to get them better. At the moment they work in order of the instances I have an idea to reorder them, it is on the to do list when I get round to changing the method.

I hope you like it and are not disappointed, I have many ideas to improve it and it will develop it into a new branch system as well.

I have been studying the trees around me (I am surrounded by the bloody things) and have come to the conclusion that in the end I will be able to make them all procedurally.

I will play around and post some examples of what can be done. Yes old wiggly Oak trees!

On the to do list:

I will turn the frames into node groups that can be turned off for performance vrs control ( I wish there were parameter drop down menus!)

Stubs, I really want to have stubs and cap them trees get dismembered all the time.

There is a large etc but I have to organize my ideas.

I also have a problem, I am addicted to this!

3 Likes