GeoTree: Procedural Trees in Geometry Nodes

Haha reaserch and googling are my special powers :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Is there anything you have been wanting to figure out specifically?
Incase iv already found something like it, i have many tabs and bookmarks of things iv found.
Might have more useful things to show

1 Like

If it’s cool and vaguely tree related, feel free to post it here.

1 Like

Okay well here is this that talks about fixing when billboards overlap eachother. Its just a description and he is doing this in unity but maybe you might know if a way to do this sort of thing in blender to do with your billboard shader your making

There is this other gn Stylized tree free to dl, i dont think its any more special then the first one but maybe theres something in here of intrest to you. It dose have a procedural bark shader

There is thisbut it was shared around alot so you may know this one already

1 Like

This should be an interesting one, i forgot about this
Im just looking through my bookmarks :stuck_out_tongue:

And Another

Holy crap. Someone else beat me to GeoTrees! That’s like everything I wanted to do, already done.

I don’t think he’s selling it though.

Yer not yet atleast, he shows the graphs kinda you cant see them properly but maybe he will answer some questions. If anything you can use as a ‘i know this is completely possible’ example

When making something theres always a shadow of doubt that it cant be done but now you know for sure it can

Also theres this you can buy the project but theres a whole tb series if the description so i guess he shows all of it anyway

1 Like

It’s amazing. He’s using basically my setup, but with so much more control, and with none of the problems I experience. I’m probably going to spend the next three days staring at his videos, seeing how I can recreate them.

My mission is capturing the perfect anime trees, as close to the 2d version we see in anime as possible
up to this point stylized trees have been a mixed of meh to almost. But i think if finally found all the methods needed to perfect the style.

Its been a bad obsession for a long wile lol
Iv got some things to do with grass but grass should be easier
This is the visual goal
Most of it is having the shader fade out certain details(like the grass you see up front and not in the distance)

Another detail is having highlights build up around shadows like this Im not sure about doing this but its one of those details thats normally overlooked when people do ‘anime style grass’

1 Like

Well your welcome and also sorry for giving you your new obsession hahahaha

1 Like

You should start a thread about “making the perfect anime trees”, to make that information easier to find :slight_smile:

1 Like

Once i have made the perfect anime tree then i can do that yes haha
Same for grass

This is another element i want to try and get, alot of stylized grass use the style thats more like a line but sometimes in anime the effect is done like dashes

He has screenshots of his node setups, but it’s too low res to gleam anything from it.

I could get 4k versions if I sign up for Plus, but I’m wondering if it’s worth $6 just to get three pictures.

Could try messaging him first to see if he is willing to answer some questions

1 Like

I kinda want to do this myself, since I still feel like I’m really rough with geonodes.

From what I can tell, he’s basically doing what I was planning on doing with my redesign, which was to make each limb generator it’s own stage with it’s own node, so you could stack as many as you want onto your tree, rather than being stuck with the static limb, branch, stick, twig setup currently in place. My biggest question is how he’s doing it without running into my problems with scale, how he’s propagating the branches so they look fairly natural, and HOW THE HELL he’s pruning the trees with outside geometry constraints.

…that’s the part that really kicks me in the nuts, because it’s EXACTLY what I wanted to do here a year or so back, but couldn’t manage to do it.

Right maybe he will answer some questions and you can figure out the rest, he has answered the comments on there so far. He only posted 3 days ago anyway

Btw the stylized trees your doing is that a mode switch?
Realistic mode and stylized mode?

I could probably do a mode switch, but right now, it’s more a replacement.

Basically, it’s the same up until the leaf propagation, then it switches to the more stylized setup, which uses the old leaf scatterer as a base to spawn a bunch of spheres, then instances the leaf cards on that. The background and highlight cards will be two extra stages off of that, combined together with a Join Geometry node at the end.

It wouldn’t be too big a deal to add a switch, but the problem is that the sphere scatterer has to be so much more constrained than it was with the leaves, and really, the node tree is already getting overly top heavy anyway. it’d probably be better to release it as a separate version, call it Geotrees: Anime Edition.

Im toying with the idea of having a game that can both be photorealistic and stylized/anime

where you have a mode switch where at runtime it swaps out textures/materials and some meshes if needed.

So for trees i was thinking it would be cool to have it switch from realistic to stylized and they look similar in shape, atleast the branches would be identical. Sounds like this would mostly work out the way i was thinking as if you put in the switch the tree would be the same up to the leaves anyway

Iv been working on a master body and head mesh that can morph to fit both realistic and stylized
so characters look right between the styles. Along with hairstyles, one hairstyle had a realistic and stylized version, mostly just a different shader setup but some minimal morph differences.

Its sort of taking abit of inspiration from Minecraft where you can swap out shader packs and mesh backs at runtime

1 Like