Getting a mac...

So I’ve decided that I can’t stand vista and windows in general and would rather not go there, and I like macs.

But I want to make sure there won’t be any problems with an imac and blender.

Specs of mac:
2.0 ghz intel Core 2 duo
2 gb ram
ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory
(This is the 20-inch model.)

My questions are:

1. Can blender use the 2 gb? Is it worth the extra $165?
  2. Is the ATI card going to cause problems?

Just so… if there was any pb, you could just use boot camp to use your mac as a PC. That would be kind of ironic heh ?

I don’t have a mac, but if i had to buy one, i would buy that 2nd Gig of Ram. Imacs aren’t that evolutive: it might be hard to install it later…(?)

If you are rich, go for a MacPro ! My brother and i will buy one soon to run a recording studio :miam !!!

Enh, thanks… but I’m not rich;).

I’m going to get the 2 gb, but I read something about a 1.5 gb limit or something…

So are the ATI cards ok with macs? Is that only a windows problem with blender?

umm well i would go for nvidia if at all possible because of the fact that nvidia is better than ati right now and im not saying this out of brand loyalty i have owned bot ati and nvidia cards im saying this because it is the facts that are proved in benchmarks and ati also allways has problems with drivers mainly opengl ones wich of course is all a man is going to be using so if at all possible i would get a nvidia based card

I have an older 2gig iMac with an ATI Radeon X1600 at home, and Blender runs just fine on it! It’s not as fast as I’d like… but Blender is never as fast as I’d like, not even on my quad core Mac Pro at work! :slight_smile:

The extra ram is easy to install on an iMac; on mine, there’s a little plate underneath the bottom edge, and two small screws. That’s it. It will be cheaper if you don’t get it from Apple. And, as a general rule, get as much ram as you can! You’ll never really regret it. I think my work machine has 8gig, which is “enough”; 4gig wasn’t. My biggest complaint about my iMac is that it will only go to 2gig; I think some of the newer ones go to 3gig. Do that if you can!

The new iMacs had freezing issues not related to Blender but it’s been fixed recently. They have glossy displays though, which I find annoying.

Yes 2GB is worth it but you can get it cheaper from Crucial etc. As mentioned, it installs in a flap at the bottom.

No, ATI cards are ok on Macs but the old model is actually faster. The X1600 is faster than the 2400 by a factor of about 2 and is about even with the 2600.

If you can get a refurb white one, I’d go for that instead.

I would too but Apple don’t offer it in any of their consumer models. They have 4 chipsets: GMA 950, GMA X3100, Radeon 2400 and 2600.

They save the nVidia chipsets for their pro lineup with an 8600M GT in the MBP and a selection (although pretty lame selection) in the Mac Pro that includes the Quadro.

MorbidDog: I see… but I didn’t thinkk ATIs had problems with blender in macs. I use blender on a mac at school and it hasn’t crashed or anything.
sarah: Well, if you get ram from apple, going from 1gb to 4gb is an extra thousand bucks. And on the 20-inch models (which is what I can afford) you can’t get 3gb. So I guess I’ll have to get 2.
Or should I get 1gb and upgrade with ram from another company?

osxrules: Thanks for all the info.:evilgrin:

It seems as though the best thing to do would be to order a mac with no ram at all, and then get 3 or 4gb from somewhere else…but is that possible??

umm no you have to have ram on it for them to install the os and that is the exact reason i will never get a mac because they price gouge 1000$ extra for 3gb of ram you could get 3gb of ddr3 for that price

ok just for a comparison Mac Book Pro

• 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 2GB 667 DDR2 - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs
  • 200GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
  • SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  • MacBook Pro 17-inch Widescreen Display
  • Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
  • AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MBprice 3598$

Cyber Power laptop i configured
DISPLAY LCD:
15.4" WSXGA+ TFT LCD Display Max: 1680x1050 Pixels
CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700 CPU @ 2.66GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
MOTHERBOARD: Mobile Intel® 945G & ICH7M Chipset Mainboard
MEMORY: 2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 DDR2-667 SODIMM Memory (Mushkin)
VIDEO CARD: Built-in NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT 512MB
HARD DRIVE: 200GB 7200RPM SATA150 HARD DRIVE
OPTICAL DRIVE: 8X DVD REWRITABLE DRIVE
With 1 year warranty and lifetime tech support which i have had to deal with and they are not bad(free by the way)

price 1790$

Well, they come with the default amount of 1GB. Also the new ones support 4GB whereas the old ones only support 3GB. This is because the new ones have the Santa Rosa chipset.

You would order the machine with no extras and then buy either 2GB or 4GB of Ram and you’d just remove the two 512MB chips. If you get a machine that supports only 3GB, you still put 4GB in it but it only uses 3.

It’s not like Windows where you have to re-register your OS if you change your Ram. But yeah their 4GB Ram prices are completely ridiculous.

4GB in the iMac is $850 from Apple but from Crucial it is $150.

The 15" one with the 7200 rpm drive is closer in spec. It’s still $2699, which is pretty high. The problem they have is they don’t change their prices until a product refresh so towards the end of their product cycle, their machines look pretty expensive. Penryn is coming in January so they might become more competitive then.

Even so, people always like to compare Apple’s prices to the cheapest PC they can find. If you compare them with Sony, they are fairly comparable so saying you’d never by a Mac because of price is equivalent to saying you’d never buy a Sony, which I highly doubt is the case.

eventually you may want to try some high end applications like Zbrush… You will want as much ram as you can possibly get for applications like this.

You can use lots of ram in blender too for the fluid simulator… (only up to 2 gigs I think with non 64bit linux)

we just got my wifes mac working with parellells … it runs most windows applications pretty good, I was impressed… much better then Linux and WINE or Crossover or Cedega.

She still could have gotten 4 times the computer for the same price if she just would have gone PC rather than mac… but she is happy, and that is all that matters. (nothing that makes her happy seems to make sense anyways…)

well anyway… lots of ram is good for CG artists :slight_smile: especially if you want to use Zbrush to its fullest ability (for this get a quad core 64 bit processor, and 16 gigs of ram)

you may see some speed ups in blender render too, especially for scenes with huge shadow maps… it will just stay in RAM rather than swap memory with the hard disk (virtual ram)

have fun with your new System :smiley:

That’s because Parallels is virtualization software and running Windows. The others use open source equivalents of the Windows APIs so the compatibility is pretty low. There is also VMWare and Virtualbox (free, open source) that do a similar job to Parallels.

If you run Virtualbox on Linux, you’ll probably get close to the same compatibility.

You missed out a word. :eyebrowlift:

I’m surprised if you keep nagging at her about how much better a computer she could have had. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know somebody who’s girlfriend wanted a PC and he got her a Mac and now she hates him for it. If there’s one thing Macs don’t do well it’s run Microsoft Office. So yeah, it’s best to just give them what they want or they’ll make your life a living hell. It’s not like we can do anything when they control access to the boobs. :frowning:

I’m reminded of the following audio track. Be warned it is pretty offensive so don’t even think about clicking it if you are easily offended (it’s intended for Mmph - his mind’s already way down in the gutter, albeit a couple of yards above mine ;)):

There’s one with more offensive imagery but the song is bad enough.

Thanks for the replies:yes:.

There’s only one flaw:
Crucial.com seems to suggest that with the imac 2.0 ghz 20-inch model, there is a maximum of 1 gb per slot.
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=iMac%202.0GHz%20Intel%20Core%20Duo%20(20-inch)&pl=iMac&cat=RAM

Whereas apple.com has the (ridiculously overprices) option of 4gb for the same model:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/9144006/wo/ta4FnRu3AEHO3uKY47e1eMzMpTI/12.?p=0

What’s with that??

I :heart: Linux.

That doesn’t answer my question!:mad:
(At least, not directly:p)

Wrong model. Here’s the Ram for the new iMac:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=iMac%202.0GHz%20Intel%20Core%202%20Duo%20(20-inch)%20MA876LL

BTW, if you do want an iMac now, you might want to hold off until MacWorld on January 14th. I don’t know if the iMac will be updated so soon but Penryn CPUs have quite a huge speed improvement apparently with the new SSE4 instruction set. There is a rumor suggesting that Apple is currently optimizing Leopard to take advantage of it and will release a 10.5.2 update that will boost performance by a lot. There’s even a suggestion Apple are going to charge for the update.

Penryn also includes that new fast Radix-16 division algorithm so division operations go twice the speed.

Given that the mobile version of Penryn will be ready too, I reckon on there being a refresh across the board. The Mac Pro sorely needs an update and Apple are definitely using mobile Penryn so I would doubt they’ll leave the iMac behind.

4 weeks aren’t that long to wait for such a big improvement (we’re talking 2x the speed on the optimizations).

OH, well in that case… :smiley:

Thanks – another bit of wisdom that pretty much saved my. Oh, and thanks for the correction about the ram as well;).