Getting a new graphics card

Hello Blender artists!
Since I currently run an AMD card and its getting some years on it, I was thinking about buying a Nvidia card, I’m going to buy it purely for Blender as I don’t play a lot of games or do anything else that is very GPU intensive on my computer… I’m looking through CUDA cards at the moment, I was wondering if you had any suggestions of what card to get, $850 is the highest I can go for the time being :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for your replies :slight_smile:
It will be much appreciated!

Current Specs:

CPU: i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz
RAM: DDR-3 8GB
GPU: Radeon HD 6970
Main Board: Gigabyte Tech. P55A-UD4

Unless you get the Titan, you might find out that the Nvidia card you choose will mean initially mean a slower viewport because of how Nvidia considers hardware accelerated double-sided drawing a professional feature (which will require you to turn off double-sided drawing for objects).

If you can handle the omission of being able to use that feature for good viewport performance and if Cycles GPU rendering isn’t something you’re looking for, you might want to get something from the newer 7xx series as that generation has more performance while consuming less power. Eventually we might see Cycles having better support for that series as well, so you might get increased possibilities.

Some people will even get some sort of dummy dongle along with the Nvidia card so they can use a cheap ATI card for viewport drawing, so that HD 6xxx card might still be useful for something.

Hey, Thanks for a fast reply, I’m buying a new card because I want to have faster cycles GPU rendering…

So if I understand correctly, The Nvidia card is slower, but its still faster for rendering?? You lost me kinda early there :stuck_out_tongue:

Would it be possible to run my ATI card aswell as a new CUDA card?

It doesn’t have to be Nvidia, any card that does the job and has CUDA support will do for me :slight_smile:

The new Nvidia card will mean better performance for games and ultra-fast rendering in Cycles, it’s just the double-sided drawing that will be slower because Nvidia considers it a professional feature that is generally not used in games (or game engines) and thus can be held for higher-tier products like the Quadro.

Disable the double-sided drawing in the viewport and it will become much faster.

As for your brand mixing question, it is indeed possible and it has indeed been done, I know it usually involves some sort of dongle-like device for getting both cards to do different things on one monitor, but I’m not very knowledgeable in this area.

I see, what about cards besides Nvidia? Any good ones worth looking at?

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated :slight_smile:

On ATI’s side, there’s some pretty powerful cards in the 7xxx series (those on the higher end). There’s also reports that ATI is about to release cards with a new ‘Hawaii’ architecture that will mean power that might supposedly rival Nvidia’s flagship models. You can currently use ATI cards with the SmallLuxGPU engine (an offshoot of Luxrender), but Brecht has been waiting for AMD to get their OpenCL drivers to a fully working state before enabling it for Cycles and it’s been going on for two years.

But ATI Card doesn’t support CUDA? And Cycles Render uses CUDA right? I didn’t manage to find any cards other than Nvidia that has CUDA as an option… Are they the only ones actually supporting it?

I searched google for double-sided drawing, but I haven’t found any real difference between having it and not having it.

I’m thinking about getting an Nvidia card since it’s supported in Cycles CPU rendering, I want to rely on fact other than things that might happen in the future, I’m growing impatiance with my current CPU render setup, takes longer than it has to :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m looking at the “ASUS GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB PhysX CUDA” It very expensive and runs above my budget price, I don’t know if it will be worth saving up the money to get it, or if I should just get a card that isn’t as expensive.

Since I don’t really know what double-sided drawing is, I can’t really tell which card I want ATM… If double-sided drawing is something I can live without, then I’d probably go for a cheaper card as I don’t want to spend all of my money on the graphicscard :slight_smile:

$850!? Man I so envy you right now. You’re render speed is going to be like 2000x faster when you get those cudas. I just bought a cheap ass gtx 650 upgraded from an ati 5570 and blender is like a whole new program. I’m able to render so much faster that I can do things now that I would never have even considered before.

@Zalamander; Alright, I’m thinking that its gonna fall down on the “Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB PhysX CUDA” Any opinions or better cards I should consider?

@BrentNewton; Sounds awesome! Can’t wait to get some fast rendering done, So tired of rendering 10 minutes just because I changed one little thing :slight_smile: