Getting objects to fall into a bowl

Hey guys, what’s up. I’ve been surfing the forum for a while, so thought it was about time I posted! I’m stuck on a problem with a project I’m working on for my university.

Here’s what I’m trying to do - I want to drop an object into a bowl, specifically a softbody object. I have made the bowl, and I’m trying to test it using just a uvsphere (not softbody) falling into the bowl. The problem is that for some reason the sphere will fall down then sit on top of the bowl, but it wont go in.

Thinking that this might be due to some problem with the bowl, I created a basic hollow cube and tried to drop the sphere into this. Same problem - the sphere just sits on top of the cube as if there were still a face there. Not sure where I’m going wrong here.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I’m not sure… If you put up a .blend, would be nice… Welcome to the Forums. :slight_smile:

Ask and ye shall receive! Thank you for any help.

Attachments

jellobowl2.blend (701 KB)

I looked at the blend, and I changed the bounds type to triangle mesh and the balls stopped sitting on top of it.

Yea you probably had convex bounds, which means there cant be any indentations(it cant be concave)

but you wouldn’t animate this way for softbodies, they should just fall by themselves XD

Hmm, thanks for the info mack. You’re right, I’m not having that problem with softbodies. Now I’m having a new problem… I can drop a softbody cube onto a plane and it works fine, but when I try to drop it into the bowl it glitches and kinda wraps it self up into a point of infinite processing needs. Any ideas?

use the non-game engine soft bodies.

can you be more specific? How can I use non-game engine soft bodies? Also, will that fix a problem where softbodies colliding with eachother crash the animation?