Getting realtime fur to move with the armature . . .

Hello Everyone. I haven’t blended in while, and I’m getting back into a few old projects! :slight_smile:

This is my problem. I’ve made a character with fur, using a method of duplicating several layers of uv-mapped fur over the form of my character and using the slowparenting option and time offset controls to creat a waving effect when the character moves (That took me forever to learn! :smiley: ) It’s a very nice effect, but I noticed that the layers of fur don’t move with the character when I pose her. Only when I rotate her. What should I do? I’m thinking of forfeiting the waving effect and just join all the layers of fur with the character’s main mesh and assign everything to the armature, but if there’s a way to save the waving effect please tell me. Thank you. :slight_smile:

… does it work when you turn subsurf on?
[or is that only static particles…]

Hmm, I don’t know. I’m not using static particles, and I’m not sure how subsurfing would help if its just a uv map.

I geuss I’ll stick with making it all one mesh. The fur is relatively short so I wouldn’t have too much of a wavy effect anyway. :slight_smile:

Ouch - Nasty problem!

The layers are parented to the figures center and will more in relation to that NOT the individual vertecies.

I can think of a way around it, but it involves about 200 years of work with seperating faces and vertex parenting.

Don’t do it!

You might want to try :
Static Particles
OR
If you’re resigned to adding the fur to the figure’s mesh, you might want to soft-body the tips so they move around.

(Again - a lot of work, but not as much as above).