Ghost of the Red Forest

This is my first ever short film, made entirely in Blender using the Eevee render engine. This started with the watercolor samurai image that I made for the CGBoost contest, when one blenderartists user suggested that I make a video with the effect, so I did. 3 months and lots of really fast rendering later, and I have my first shortfilm.

The music was also made by me using the traditional Japanese instruments from garageband, which was actually exactly what I was looking for.

My wife and I made all of the sound effects using an assortment of objects around the house and a small USB microphone.

I am still learning how to animate, so please feel free to leave some comments and tell me what you think!

5 Likes

Nice work for your first animation. I know how much effort it takes. Keep up the good work.

Great job!

Thank you!

Thanks! I appreciate it

I really like the composition of the scenes, mainly the scene at 0.59 when the camera is behind him. It draws the viewer into a more intimate circle of action, eg. making them feel like they are also watching from the tree. The other scene that stands out is at 1:10, the reflection in the water is really cool. Great work!

1 Like

Thank you so much! Shot composition is one thing that I have been working on a lot, and using the composition guides really helped at first. The framing of the shot can really make or break it. I’m glad you liked it!

Really cool!

If I had to be anal about it, the only thing I’d change are the feet sliding when the samurais are walking.
But it doesn’t detract from the cool atmosphere and the overrall good animation, a really great job!

Thanks for the input! That’s actually what I had the most trouble with, so good catch! I spent a while trying to match it up, but just couldn’t find a good pace for it. Walking animations are definitely one of the things that I really need to work on.

Again, thanks for the critique!

1 Like