Giant Underwater Dino Skeleton Finished Project

Hey! New user here. I’m a senior concept artist at DICE L.A and have been in the industry almost 6 years now.

I actually first used blender around 12 years ago… almost in its infant stages. Since then I’ve barely touched it, having been moulded by education and industry into using the standard Autodesk packages etc. I picked it up again early this year, having seen the leaps and bounds its made, and the waves its been generating within the CG community.

I’m in love.

Of course there are a bunch of things that need addressing still but I’m having so much fun using it especially it coming with a built-in GPU accelerated renderer.

The past two weeks I’ve been working on random assets that then turned into a personal project… and I’d like to share with you the results here!

(bear in mind, I’m only allowed to share one image per post as I’m a new user, but I will try to upload the process images ASAP!)

The ship definitely took the longest to make. That’s the first time I’ve ever harnessed the patience to put together something so complex. Keeping things as instances saved me a lot of hassle for sure.

The skeleton was fairly simple, quick rough sculpt as I knew this would be underwater.

Terrain? One word.
Gaea.

Anyways, thanks for your time everyone! Hopefully will be sharing more with you soon! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

@felixbauerart

Personal website

32 Likes

Another close-up

4 Likes

And another one:

6 Likes

And another (sorry for individual posts, this seems to be the only way its working haha)

5 Likes

Ship close-up

2 Likes

The skeleton with a crappy projected noise texture. It does the job :laughing:

4 Likes

The ship, quick previs

1 Like

the straight-out-blender render for the main image

1 Like

and another fresh out the oven:

1 Like

the before:

1 Like

last but not least, my reference board!

1 Like

Fantastic work! Looks awesome. :slight_smile::+1:t2:

2 Likes

very nice work Felix! like both versions, this one and the more colored one. Welcome to the boards

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Nice work! How did you make the wake behind the ship?

Cheers!

the wake?

bing images :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Aweome Work… How did you create the ocean White noise in Blender??

This is such a fun idea! And I’m blown away by the complexity you invested into making the ship - I would have been much more rough about it knowing it will be seen from high up. :slight_smile:
I really like the final render with the clouds - were those added in post?

1 Like