GIMP 2.10.14 - ORA FIle Support

Hello Everyone,

I am on Linux using GIMP 2.10.14 - looking for a way to export layers.

I saw a post that mentioned exporting to ora format, then opening the ora file as an archive to get to the files.

However, I do not see an option for ora files in the export menu. Also, if i change the preferences for default export to use ORA, it doesn’t work - I get the following error:

The given filename does not have any known file extension. Please enter a known file extension or select a file format from the file format list.

Is there something else I need to do to enable ORA file support?

I tried posting on the official GIMP forum, but it would not allow me to - even after completing several capchas.

Thanks in advance!!

I’d like to know about this too. ORA might also be a good format for Blender to support.

There’s nothing special you need to do to enable export to ORA; it’s built-in but not one of the formats GIMP defaults to. The choice on the pop-up menu cover the usual output formats. Then again, do you really want to set ORA as your default? Are you always working on multi-layer files that need separate layer output?

No need to worry: all you have to do is add the “.ora” extension and let GIMP do the rest. That applies to any export format (JPG, PNG, TIFF, etc.), which is kinda neat on GIMP’s part. I can’t tell you how many times in Photoshop I’ve saved “filename.tif” as a .PSD!

Regarding the GIMP forum, you’re on your own.

Hi gtomorrow,

It doesn’t appear to be built in to Gimp 2.10.14.

If, while saving, I change the extension to ora, I get the same warning:

GIMP Warning
The given filename does not have any known file extension. Please enter a known file extension or select a file format from the file format list.

It works for other formats, but not ora. Basically, I was looking for a quick way to export multiple layers, each in their own image as png. From a post I saw on another forum, saving as ora file type, then opening as an archive, there would be a “data” folder that would contain all of the png files.

Try Krita it is lot better.

I moved to Krita to edit textures because Gimp does not support Tablet / TabletPC good and using a mouse can me very carpal tunnel inducing.

Ratchet,

For a lot of things yes - but not everything. There doesn’t seem to be a way to generate noise for an entire layer (plasma, clouds etc), which I use often in Gimp for a base material texture. Otherwise, I agree - for painting it is better.

Sorry, I didn’t see this sooner. Are you trying to save as .ora or export to .ora? Sounds the same but it’s not.

GIMP saves only to .xcf, its own format. GIMP exports to a whole bunch of different formats, including .ora.

Now if you say you’re trying to export to .ora (Open Raster) format and GIMP throws that error, then there’s a problem. As I said, .ora is a supported export format.

gtomorrow,

Export - as it turns out, i was finally able to post on GIMP forums and got it sorted out. gimp-python doesn’t come with GIMP by default, so it needs to be installed separately.

Gimp forum post:

Strange, strange, strange. I installed GIMP from the same ottokesselgulasch PPA and I can Export to .ora, no extra or second installations necessary. Same for GIMP 2.10.x on the Mac. Sorry to hear about your problem, but I read your link and apparently you got things settled. Good luck!

Have you tried using G’mic with Krita?

Both Plasma and cloud generators exist in the rendering and patterns section.

-S

Where did you go to get it, and what was the script or plug in you had to use to make it all work? Links would be a plus. TIA

I created an account solely to tell you how wrong you are, on versions of 2.10 + the ora extension isn’t easy to come across. Secondly why would you tell him something so stupid like “all you have to do is add the ora extension” and not tell him where to find the download. Armature hour on all of these help forms.

It looks like it must vary depending on where you get GIMP, and your OS, since on Windows 10 with GIMP 2.10.24 all I had to do was .ora to the end of the file name in the Export as menu.

GIMP 3.0 version
GIMP 2.10 version

If you want it in PPA form, it looks like this would be the place.