Gimp 2.5 has still 3 anoying windows .

oh my god , these guys at gimp dont get it or what ? the new version 2.5 still has these anoying windows .

reactionary much?

are you sure? on linux it’s one window per image … on windows there’s a checkbox in the prefs to keep the tools on top…

they “get it” from where I’m standing…

I think he means the like pallet and layer thing and stuff.

yes, but now they don’t show as seperate in the task bar… it’s now exactly like on mac photoshop… maybe not by default on windows, but certainly on linux, and as I said, it’s a checkbox away in the prefs on windows…(to keep the tools “always on top”)…

what else could you possibly complain about?

… I mean, this is the blender forum, you’d think they’d be some appreciation for just how good other open source is…

2.5 the changes are mainly under the hood… new features aren’t even high on the agenda…yet they’ve found time and made the changes to the interface that some people just can’t get over so that the windows are managed “just like photoshop” and yet they’re still getting mindless comments like “these 3 annoying windows” …

sheesh

dee not botherin’ me much 'em three winda’s

I only have to two windows, my canvas and the toolbox, I’m not sure the problem.

helo, could you guys please tell me where to download gimp 2.5 for windows ? i dont know how to compile and stuff ~_~

Try here. …:yes:

Uh, no, I don’t see the 2.5 anywhere there - the official page says you have to compile your own, and the official pointer to windows binaries shows 2.4.7 or something like that…

but 2.5 Gimp looks really cool :slight_smile:

you can get windows builds here scroll down the page for beta 2.5… they have 32 and 64 bit builds.

ok , michael w , but if i got 3 images open , and i want to minimize gimp ( all gimp windows, the tools, the images all ) do i have to minimize one by one each one of them ?

… not if you hit “tab” first…

ha ha,though, I hadn’t noticed that… ok, so you got me on that one. (in linux I hardly ever minimise stuff, just “roll up” the window or switch to a new desktop)

Usually I just open the next window over them all.
Why bother minimizing?
If I need to see my desktop that badly, I just click the “Show Desktop” button. That minimizes everything.

A little compromise, and actually that “3 window” thing turns out to be an improvement.
Photoshop doesn’t offer that much control.

…It is a new feature for gimp to manage the windows this way…and this is a beta version, not a release candidate…maybe you should report this oversight as a bug?

I doubt it’d be fixed before release of 2.6 but worth a try?

I missed the bit about 3 images…(you could have picked a different number?)…

I guess it just seems logical to me that if I have 3 images open that I should have to minimise them one at a time… It’d be just strange for me to minimise one and have all the others go too, that’d suck! I guess you can’t please all of the people though…

Gimp 2.5 has this option under the preferences to stack the windows in the taskbar together.

how do I compile GIMP/GAP myself?

can you post image of where that is i just cnt find it in preferences. thanx

here you go…

http://www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk/assets/gimprefs.jpg

in the window management section…“Toolbox and other docks are transient to the active image window” will keep them ontop and minimise them when you minimise a window…

The “hint for toolbox” and “hint for other docks” bits can be changed so you can have old style behaviour (separate task bar entries… always on top etc… Utility window is probably the one for you though…)

Alienkid… Just try searching google… I’d post the links i use but they’re for Ubuntu Linux not windows…