gimp 2.7.2

does anyone have gimp 2.7.2 compiled for windows, or have a guide how to compile it

here is the a nightly tarballs
ftp://gimptest.flamingtext.com/pub/nightly-tarballs/

well, here’s what I was able to find with Google … remember , GIYF (and for now, I am too)
http://web.archive.org/web/20080225102955/http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/HowToCompileGimp/MicrosoftWindows

I know you mentioned 2.72 but here’s a link for a 2.71 download for anyone interested.

well, here’s what I was able to find with Google … remember , GIYF (and for now, I am too)

i did that and i couldn’t find a way, and the link you posted wont work on this version.

I know you mentioned 2.72 but here’s a link for a 2.71 download for anyone interested.

i already have that and i want the new build because the text on canvas tool never worked which is a very big advantageous for me.

I´ll hijack this thread for a question…

Anyone got normal map filter plugin working in 2.6.9+ ?
In 2.6.9 it worked, beyond that version it doesn´t even show up in the filters although nicely installed -.-

I am using 2.6.10 (as i read that 2.6.11 has some problems with some specific plugins) and the normal map filter works perfectly (on my XP OS).

Be sure you have the latest version of the normal map plugin.
http://code.google.com/p/gimp-normalmap/

For me with 2.6.10 it’s under “Filter -> Map -> Normalmap…”

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5852/clipboard01gv.th.jpg

I know where to get the latest and where to find it ^^
That is exactly the problem, it is not working.
I guess its back to 2.6.10 then until I find the muse, or someone else to compile it against .11

i googled for 3 days and i found that every attempt to compile 2.7.2 are ended in failure, whats wrong with the GIMP people, are there no windows users no single person to compile a nightlies, i think if they provide a guide to compile on windows they will find many that makes binaries, i’m certainly one of them :slight_smile:

Considering that

1. 2.7.2 has never been released, and
  2. it is a development series still undergoing a lot of code changes

I wouldn’t be surprised if you had a hard time building it on any platform.

no it’s already 2 months old in linux, in my search i also heard about some updated to 2.7.3 !!!
A1)and even if it’s unreleased, in the 1st post i got the tar balls updated nightly !!?
A2)blender is still in development and under alot of change from the very 1st alpha, and there are more than 10 compilers ???!!!

are GIMP a no interesting project ??? (actually if i ignored the UI, it’s pretty good)

I think you misunderstood. The odd numbers are development versions and not intended for general release, which is one of the reasons you won’t find many binaries. The source code is available for testing and linux users tend to be more build happy than Windows users. Those versions are probably provided by the community not by Gimp devs.

You may need to either wait for 2.8 or accept you are facing an uphill journey. Have you considered installing a linux system on a usb stick and installing the linux version on that?

For what its worth you will probably get more information on all this from a Gimp forum.

@organic: i’m not talking about 2.7.3 i want 2.7.2 which there are already people trying to compile, and some lib or dependency they could not make it work, and why don’t you wait for blender 2.6 to use instead of 2.5x builds and accept you facing an up hill journey!!, about linux u mean shift my system every time i need to edit a map :o

BTW i tried the IRC channel, the only answer i got is check the mailing lists :eek:, and it will take like for ever.

<<are GIMP a no interesting project ???>>
What a question?!

Seven is an odd number, is it not?

ok so maybe it is time you quit whingeing about why someone else didn’t do the work for you and get on with it yourself.

For your information I got off my chair and learned how to build Blender, and now I update it every day. Though I append scenes to 2.49 for rendering with Yafaray because the exporter is stable and fully functioning.

If you need 2.7.2 and you can’t edit the map without it then yes, I suggest that is exactly what you do. The alternative is don’t edit any maps - which do you prefer?

People here are trying to help you and you just sit there crying that the sky is falling in.

@organic: you are so organic, and… you are too offensive, WHY??? chill out, we are talking not fighting
i already said i’m ready to build it if someone gave me a little guide on it (that’s not crying)

i’m trying to get out of commercial software to the open world, and i like gimp, blender, audacity and all, you should be open minded.

Well I’m sorry you see it that way.

You ask for advice, then disregard the assistance people offer you. Someone told you 2.7 hasn’t been released (as a binary), but you disagree. Someone tells you 2.7 is a development version, again you disagree.

You’re not listening to the advice, so, if you reckon you know best, you figure it out…

“…check the mailing lists…”

no it’s already 2 months old in linux, in my search i also heard about some updated to 2.7.3 !!!
A1)and even if it’s unreleased, in the 1st post i got the tar balls updated nightly !!?
A2)blender is still in development and under alot of change from the very 1st alpha, and there are more than 10 compilers ???!!!

All commits after 2.7.1 was tagged are considered “2.7.2”. Think of it as “2.7.2-in-progress” rather than “2.7.2-tagged-and-released” Some development models change the version number in the code as soon as a release is made. Others wait till just before a release is made. Gimp development uses the first of the two.

The point is that anything 2.7.2 right now is coming from the head of the development branch rather than from a tagged version. You can look at the git repo yourself if you like:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/

People are starting to use Blender 2.5 before it’s out of beta because it’s feature set is frozen and it has become very stable. Not very many people were doing that a year ago when it was still undergoing big changes and still very buggy. Gimp 2.7.x will probably not be ready for serious testing till probably late winter / early spring. (Unless schedule gets pushed back)

Most of the developers for Gimp develop from the Linux platform, so windows really isn’t much of a priority till the very end of the development cycle. If you really want “get out of commercial software” your always welcome to install Linux. Dealing with code repositories and compiling software from Linux is much less of a headache than on windows.

There’s an “unofficial” window release of GIMP 2.7.2 (for 32 and 64 bits) :
http://www.partha.com/

As usual with any 2.7.x , mostly none of your usefull plugin will work and there may be lots of bugs, and if the install works like the previous 2.7.1 beta, it will delete your GIMP 2.6.x before installing, so if unlike me you feel adventurous enough to test 2.7.2, back up all your 2.6.x plugins brushes and files.

Don’t report bugs to the GIMP bug trackers, as it’s not a build from the GIMP devs (and why the “unofficial”) , but you can provide and read feedback on gimpchat about this build :
http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1382

This probably isn’t helping, but I’ve got Gimp 2.6.11 + normal map on Debian Wheezy. The filter was included in the gimp-plugin-registry package and works fine.

@@Sanctuaryrobsoie: thanks man, i’ll test it, but anyway i don’t massively use gimp, i just want to do the usual image operation on photos textures etc…