Glass Material & World Color Help

I have two questions here.

1. I’m not sure why the world background is not WHITE when I’ve already set it to FFFFFF in hex value.
  2. The glass panel of my model appears to have icing/frosting effect. I cannot get the CLEAR GLASS with REFLECTION on it.

What’s the correct way of doing it?

Done on Blender 2.8, Cycles, Denoising Applied.

Are you working on Eevee or Cycles?

Hi guys, forgot to mention. I’m working on CYCLES this time around

@Acrivec should this be ZERO?

Are you using de-noising, by any chance? That could be what’s making your reflections mottled like that.

Check this out:

1 Like
  1. I’m not sure but this might be tackled by not using filmic (try default instead). I suggest checking color management tab at render settings.
  2. That translucent shader might be causing that. I suggest using only glass shader. Also your denoising effect might be causing that. Increasing sample count might decrease this blotchy effect.

The background can be fixed with this node setup. It will even work with filmic.

It will cause problems with transparent materials though, won’t it? (background behind transparent material will look darker)

Yeah, you’re correct. I think for this project, it isn’t a huge deal, but yeah in general it’s not a good habit to get in to. I suppose another option is to set the “look” to “high contrast”. Or play with the levels in photoshop after the render is finished.

Thank you guys for all your input. It was very helpful.

What I’ve learned from this is that…

1. The frosting effect is caused by the DENOISING. Turning it off will show the FIREFLIES so I just kept it on.
  2. That NODE setup for the background was pretty cool, but I ended up rendering in transparent mode because I’m doing a post production in After Effects.
  3. Glass Shader need not to be complex, I opted with just GLASS SHADER and nothing else.

here is the final render with a little bit of post in AE

Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes