Glass Material

Hey,
I’m looking for an easy way to create a glass material for the view from inside a spaceship. It doesn’t need to look very realistic, but I’m having trouble getting any transparency.

Thanks,
Anthony

hi, you can use raytransp, or ztransp depending upon what effect you want. when using raytransp, make sure you have ‘ray’ clicked in render buttons, and when using either, make sure you adjust the alpha slider in materials.

Awesome, thanks. It worked perfectly. As soon as I turned on the raytracing my render after a couple minutes hadn’t shown up at all, so I went with the z-trans. Can you tell me what the different values for alpha do as far as this is concerned? Also, are there any tricks to give some quality up for lower rendering times when using z-trans?

Thanks again,
Anthony

the alpha slider is what controls the opacity.
for added realism, turn up the hardness and specularity for glass.
using raytracing is best for glass, because it gives you a nice reflection, but if it’s not working for you, you can simulate the effect without it, either by using env mapping ( kind of complicated ) or you can take an image or clouds texture and set ‘map to’ to ‘csp’ ‘col’, and ‘ref’, and turning down the ‘col’ slider, and setting ‘map input’ to ‘refl’.
i hope this is right, because i haven’t done it that way in a long time. but try to get ray working, and remember to turn on ‘ray’ in the render buttons.

I turned ray on, and none of my lights are being rendered. I have two particle effects being rendered, but that’s it. I just went through the light material options and wasn’t able to see and option for enabling them for raytracing.

I just let it go through the rendering with raytrace on. It was just taking longer, but I took the characters out of the render and it went a lot faster. The only problem now is no lighting.

Thank you very much for all the info.
-Anthony

can you put up the blend so we can have a look?

The FTP server my friend runs is having some issue with permissions right now. It should be fixed in the morning, and then I’ll post the blend file.

Thanks again,
Anthony

ok, i’m sure we’ll figure it out.

Hey, I’m still waiting for the server to give me access again. Until I fix that I was wondering about something else.

I’m rendering at a resolution of 640x360, and every second is turning out to be around 1MB in file size. Are there any tricks during rendering to decrease file size besides taking down the resolution? Does the different AVI type matter?

-Anthony

Alright, I’ve managed to get the .blend file up. You can find it at http://www.galaxybc.com/files/ship02.zip . There are two image files used as textures in it, but the paths will be wrong probably.

Let me know if you figure out what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks,
Anthony

Any luck figuring out what I did wrong?