Glider Spin Simulation

(Clockmender) #1

This animation is the first pass for a simulation of a spin to be used for educational purposes. Its only the first cut, so may need some refinement and will need some music at some stage:

It is intended to look like a CGI animation, not a photorealistic render. Comments welcome as usual!

Cheers, Clock. :beers:

(Clockmender) #2

Thanks for all the comments :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Seriously Amy is really upset that nobody liked her ass, or admired her flying skills for that matter… Anyway, here is version 2, with some revisions:

(Chris Tempel) #3

I like her harness (I’m a skydiver). Our chest straps though usually go under a woman’s boobs :rofl:

(Clockmender) #4

We only use “emergency” 'chutes in gliders, so the strap goes over her boobs, that way I doesn’t squeeze them too much if she jumps out. :woman_pilot:

I have never jumped out of a plane, think I will keep it that way unless my wings break…

EDIT:

Here’s a look at some of the stuff in the VSE:

(Clockmender) #5

Amy got “ticked-off” by one of our instructors for leaning on her glider’s wing:

So she now stands up! Also I revised the tug’s colour scheme so it is closer to the real thing.

(pauljs75_) #6

Now you just need to add and rig the external control surfaces. Should be reasonable enough that those can be driven by whatever animation works the interior controls. I’d think that’s coming soon though.

(Clockmender) #7

Hello again my friend, long time since we last spoke, I hope all is well with you. :smile:

I have made and rigged, all control surfaces for the next video where she demonstrates low and high speed stalls. I am not sure when I will get around to altering the “Spin” video as this means replacing the glider model, re-animating and re-rendering the whole animation… Here is the revised glider with ailerons, flaps, rudder and elevator, it already has retracting undercarriage, cable release, trim lever, operating controls for all of above and opening canopy, etc. All control surfaces are linked to movement of the control column, or pedals:

We have also been making assets for Condor Flight Simulator of our airfield, progress to date:

The motor glider (Rotax Falke) is not finished yet, still needs all the decals adding, the tug pane is a Supermunk (Chipmunk with a Rotax flat four engine). Then we have two more hangars and the winch to do. These are made in blender, then exported as .obj files for import into Condor.

The club want us to make the complete club fleet, so there are quite a few models to go here! The good thing is all three of our tugs are Supermunks, so I just have to alter the texture files (different colours and registration marks).

(pauljs75_) #8

It’s looking good. Like a flight sim game of some sort. And knowing you (at least from other projects), I figured you’ll have a lot of details animated. Nice to see that it’s been done already. :+1:

(Clockmender) #9

Thank you! :smile:

Condor is a serious flight simulator for glider pilots, see here for details.

We have two setups, one in house and one mobile on a trailer, both use the front end of a glider body with all the electronics connected to computers and either screens, or projectors. They are invaluable for training new pilots and for honing skills of we solo pilots in the winter when the weather stops us flying. Here are our three tugs in Blender ready for Condor:

And a screenshot from Condor of progress, my colleague has been adding caravans and trees:

Next video will be ready in about a week, renders take around 12 hours for 90 frames and there are 2,830 for the animation, then there is all the VSE work to do, adding the instructions, etc. I am rendering to .png files then assembling the video in VSE.

Our club’s website for details about us, if it is of interest.