Global Shading in Blender 2.8 Eevee. $

First this is a shader that makes extensive use of drivers in Blender 2.8 for EEVEE. The benefit is that you can adjust multiple shaders in one go. At the same time you can make your shader as unique as you like.

It also includes that we can define a colour palette globally. Normaly you would have to go to your shader, and adjust the colour for example. In some render-engines like appleseed you can define a few things like colours globally and re-use them.

For advanced users: you can export the settings of a global shader and import them later. This is another way to generate colour palettes which you can share or sell.

A bonus is a set of seamless textures. Mind that these are not organic textures. (I generated these with some strange effect with overshooting bevels). These textures are probably suitable for sci-fi, and you will want to scale them.

I think this global shading is a feature we mis in Blender and I hope the devs have something in mind to implement this.

Future plans

• The idea is to make it an addon so it’s also user friendly for beginners. But that will take at least two months.

• Provide more colour palettes via python. (Unless other users start to sell enough).

• Provide more shaders. These shaders provided here are very usefull shaders which you will use the most. Though having some fancy shaders would be nice too.

How to use it: (More documentation will follow)

• Make a scene with your own models

• Append from GlobalShader_Start.blend a collection called: GlobalColors

• Select one of your objects and one of the twelve cubes and copy the material to selected from the properties panel (material tab, under the plus and minus icon)

• in the properties window, go to the object tab. Select the text “GlobalColors” in the scene and go to the customer properties. From here you can manage all settings.

Later you can also import one of the python files and run the script. You can also adjust this and export them for later use.

There is also a blendfile called colorpicker. It is set up that way it is best for colorpicking. (avoiding all kinds if interference with colormanagement, etc). There is a RGB curve and that’s because albedo values are different that the colours of a texture. Remember the albedo for snow is not the brightest white in our scene domain.

Some tutorials will follow later, but I believe most blender-users have the idea how to use it.

You can not share the node setup but you can share and sell the python script that generates the settings.

Available on Gumroad:

2 Likes