Global vs Local Coordinate

Just curious whats the different between LOCAL and GLOBAL Coordinate was reading the documentation but still kinda don’t understand it well enough?

Any tips? or idea? an explanation would be nice with an example.

Thanks

GLOBAL: The coordinates that apply to everything uniformly. When you’re in Object Mode and go into top or side view or whatever, the axes that you see in the bottom left corner are global.

LOCAL: The coordinates that just apply to a single object. When you rotate an object in Object Mode, its axes change. These are the local coordinates. For example, rotate the default cube slightly. Note the directions of the axes of the cube as shown by the transform manipulator (you’ll need it turned on - Ctrl-Space). Then change the Transform Orientation using the combobox at the bottom of the 3DView from Global to Local. See the difference?

yeah kinda understand global now.

Just the local :slight_smile:

GLOBAL = XYZ RED GREEN BLUE LINE? and correspond to everything you do in blender.

LOCAL = APPLY TO ONLY OBJECT IN USE OR EDITING PHASE :slight_smile: i think thats what you are trying to tell me

Suppose that I had two spheres. Each one obviously has a different position in “the world,” that is to say, in the global coordinate-system.

Now suppose that I am working on one sphere individually. It does not concern me “where in the world” that sphere is, or where it might move. The frame-of-reference that I am interested in now concerns only that sphere, irrespective of “where in the world” it may now be. I might want to position the cursor to “the center” (0,0,0) of that sphere, which has nothing at all to do with “where in the world” that sphere is. So, I’m now speaking in the “local” coordinate system of that particular sphere.

Imagine the earth with the global axes going through the middle of the earth, the Z-Axis is pointed to the geographic northpole.

Now, someone in Australia certainly would use a local coordinate system where Z is pointing straight up, it would make no sense to him speaking about “I’m tilted 100° around the y-axis” when he’s standing straight (from his POV).

The same goes for blender, you have a global coordinate system and a local one for each object. Set “Axis” in object properties to see the local coordinate system.

When you rotate an object, all you do is rotate the local coordinate system, the local coordinates do not change, the “upper left” corner of a cube still is at (1/1/1)

However, when you press Ctrl+A to Apply size and rotation, the local coordinate system is oriented like the global coordinate system and the local coordinates now change.

So, if you scale a cube by factor 2, upper left it will stil have coordinates (1/1/1), after Apply Size and Rotation, it will have 2/2/2