Gloves Impossible To Rig/Weight Paint?

Hello, what’s the best/easiest way to rig/weight paint a glove shaped like this? There are multiple objects overlapping each other (like a boxers glove). I tried rigging with automatic weights and there’s so many problems that I’m wondering if there’s a better way.

It is even possible/realistic to rig these type of gloves the way my topology is flowing and have it look good when the fingers bend? I didn’t think about that when I modeled it and I don’t know if this is even possible to rig this and not have it take a million years to make it look good. I joined all the objects to make them one so it’s a little easier, but still can’t figure it out. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I think most uses would involve retopo before weighting. Well, most use cases would involve just baking textures (incl. normals) selected to active to the body.

But you can try a data transfer from the body on nearest face interpolated. It ought to work pretty well.

This structure, in reality, would have a lot more rigidity than you’d get with just a data transfer though. Ideally, each strand would be weighted from a single strand of verts on nearest edge interpolated, with that strand being weighted nearest face interpolated from a body. That would keep it from stretching/swimming, but might lead to some clipping, and would make it more obvious that this isn’t real (a real structure would have multiple, overlapping layers.)

I tried this just now and it works great! You saved me so many hours of manual labor, thank you so much!!