Glows should envelop foreground objects

I’m getting aquainted with Blender after using
-Scuplt 3D
-Sculpt/Animate 4D
-Turbo Silver
-Imagine
-Truespace ver. 5

There’s a LOT of potential in this program! I’m hoping someone can help. A proper “glow” is an in-camera effect. Because of that, if a glowing object is partially obscured by a foreground object the glow will partly envolop that foreground object as well.

When you use the glow texture it only affects the background. I realize the glow effect in the sequence editor works properly as an in-camera effect, but it isn’t very flexible (in fact I can’t find ANY settings, but I’m learning).

Does anyone know how to do a glow which both behaves properly and offers flexibility? I’d also like to animate the “star” portion of the effect to produce a cool photon torpedo-like effect.

Thanks!

[contents removed by user]

There are a couple of good video tutorials on using the glow plugin – they show how to control the glow.

– try the n-key in the sequence editor

I am confused by your subject as well – most glows aren’t in-camera effects but rather atmospheric ie: from a street light, neon signs, light sabres. Are you talking about a lens flare??

GreyBeard

I suppose you could call it a lens flare.

An atmospheric effect would be like haze. That’s different, and WOULD be obstructed by foreground objects.

A brightly glowing light would appear to glow on video or film even without an atmosphere. The glow doesn’t exist at the source.

I bring this up because the ability to apply a glow as a post production effect (with settings) opens the door to other effects like starlight filters and more flexible lens flares.

I can’t play the MP4 files you linked to, but will spend some time hunting down the right codec. Thanks!

Captain: What you most likely want is this: http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~mein/blender/plugins/sequence/afterglow/

The build in sequence glow is not useable for star trek or star wars effect glows.

I haven’t really tried this but wouldn’t a halo with the flare button turned on be the lens flare effect you’re after?

Truespace adds a lens flare as a post process effect which is why it always covers the scene, even if it should it could never be hidden by an object but I haven’t used the halo flare much yet but it looks like it’s the same thing.

Welcome, fellow former Amiga user! You just listed all the programs I started with. Blender’s been my home since I found it 2 years ago.

Anyway, there’s another glow plugin available called “Afterglow” which you apply both as a material and as a sequence plugin. The two together end up making a more controllable glow than the standard “glow” sequence plugin.

Check around for it!

Thanks! I think Afterglow IS what I’m looking for. I don’t have time right now to dive in to it.

Here’s a question. Is there a way to tie the brightness of a glow to an envelope? (I think Blender calls this an IPQ? IPD?).

Those Amiga days were great! I’ve never been more than a perpetual 3D novice, though. I’ve never advanced beyond flying logos. I find character animation highly frustrating.

I remember vividly my first chrome sphere on a checkered floor in sculpt. I had to wait ALL night for it to render. NOW it happens in a few seconds, and my chrome spheres are colored AND on on floors with textures like “brick”!

By the way, where is Blender’s tile texture? How am I supposed to do my chrome sphere on tiled floor with no tile texture?? :wink:

There are some brick/tile texture plug-ins that come with blender, just select plugin as the texture type then load the one you want from blender/plugins/texture.

I was half-kidding since the chrome sphere on checkered floor is such a 3D cliche.

Even so, thanks for the advice. But where are these plugins? All there are in my “plugins” folder are what I think are “C” header files (they end in .h).

In your main blender folder (at least in mine) there is a sub folder called plugins. In the plugins folder there should be 3 sub folders, texture, sequence and include. Look in the texture folder and you should see some .dll’s which are the complied C plugins. Such as afterglow, brick etc.

Don’t confuse the .blender and the blender folders.

Keep in mind I didn’t do my own build so my directory tree might look different then yours.

Thanks! I had to dowload the plugins separately and that created the directories.

Is there a way to get Blender to remember where files are located? It always defaults to the C:\ drive and I have to navigate to “Program Files” then to “Blender Foundation” (why not just “blender”?) then “Blender” etc.

It should know all plugins are in a particular directory, all image maps are somewhere else, project files, etc.

Yes there is a way to set directories. The menu is not really a menu but another window of blender just like 3D view, note the “I” icon next to the menu bar. Open up blender and move the mouse just under the top menu, drag the border down and you’ll see some buttons. Click on “File Paths” and from there you can set all your paths. The other buttons are also interesting, like changing the lighting setup for solid view mode, or loading/saving a theme.

Thanks! That helps!