GLSL - All White/No Shadows in Game Engine

Edit: Forgot to mention I’m running Blender 2.54!

Basically what’s happening is that whenever I run the game engine with GLSL shading by pressing ‘p’, everything renders completely white with no shadows. This happens regardless of type/absence of a light source. All you can see is the white silhouette of the meshes against the background.

In another file I created prior to my GLSL tinkering, I can see the materials and textures as well as the specularity reflecting off them from various light sources when I enable GLSL, but they don’t cast shadows on the objects around them, regardless of shading method. They do however have shading on themselves based on the light sources.

All of the objects have materials applied to them, and I know that my graphics card supports GLSL and that my drivers are up-to-date. Also, the shadows display correctly when rendered normally.

I’ve been searching around for an answer all morning and turned up not so much as a clue, so any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

have you got textures enabled, or have you enabled shadeless if you have uvmapped textures

I’m fairly sure I have textures enabled…but should that matter, since the problem is as soon as a material is added, it turns white (just discovered this)? There is no change when I enable/disable shadeless in the materials panel – it’s still all just…white.

oh yeah try going into the GE or press SHIFT P for preveiw
i get it all white when in 3d veiw, not in GE. But i have to add textures by ADD textures

Hi there ProperVandal

Let me guess… Do you have an ATI video card?

Here is a very simple example file for Blender 2.5beta (BF official release), It’s working for me.

Yours,

Ortiz

Sys:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2

Attachments

GLSLStencilLight25Beta.blend (352 KB)

@agoose77: Uhmm…no dice. I have the exact opposite happening: all white in the GE (when I press P or “Start” under the Properties menu…Shift+P does nothing for me), but materials show in the 3D view.

@Thorgal: Nope, I have an NVidia Geforce 8600GT. I’ll check that file, though, and see if it works…
Edit: The file works for me. I must have just been doing something wrong…I’ll study it for a sec and compare settings.

For future reference (in case anyone else runs across the same “problem”)…
Solution: agoose77 had the right idea, but I didn’t understand what he meant until I looked over Thorgal’s file – I needed to test the game with Viewport Shading set to Textured. Nice newbie fail on my part!

Thanks very much to both of you!