GLSL Nvidia Issue

Hi there guys.
I’ve bought the nvidia 9500 GT 512 MB videocard, and the problem is that when I wanna activate the GLSL Materials in the game button, i get a message saying that GLSL doesn’t support this graphic card or the drivers…
I’m using windows at the moment with 1 week installed
Any idea? is there any report about this? I
I’ve installed the latest drivers from the nvidia webpage, and also tried the driver that came into the package of the card…
Please help!!! I dont believe I got this card and i can’t use this option!!!
Thanks in advance

Have you instaled the newest driver for graphic card?

Hi Vojislav, thanks for answering. Yes, I did. I’ve also tried differents compilation of blender and always getting same problem

your card supports shaders but might not support the shader extensions blender uses. the problem probably is with the extension checking code…

Mmmm… thx for answering toonist… Do you think maybe Windows has something to do with this? Looking Forward to your answer about the code…

Windows shouldn’t have anything to do with it, the code probably checks for several shader related opengl extensions and if even one of them is missing, it prints out the error message about not being able to run the shaders. This is just my hunch though.

So what should do I do? No clue? Might be my card the problem? I’ve looked for internet but i got nothing…

You should have made sure that your card supports OpenGL shaders, do not mistake DirectX shaders for OpenGL shaders. Some cards are better at running DirectX than openGL (DirectX isn’t bad, but it’s not helpful when it comes to running blender).

So what should do I do? No clue? Might be my card the problem? I’ve looked for internet but i got nothing…

It’s mostly your card. Check to see if it has OpenGL 2.0 with GLSL. If it doesn’t… well… then you need to buy a new card.

you can get an app that tells you what GL extentsions you have from um… ozone3d website… http://www.ozone3d.net/index_graphics_softwares.php

look for gpu caps… run it and it will tell you what extensions you have

Perhaps it’s a blender issue? Like how 2.48 doesn’t fully support python 2.6, but works fine with 2.5.2. (found this when trying to run a system os script) Try reporting this to the bug tracker. Also isn’t the 9500 top of the line? so GLSL should be child’s play… unless I’m wrong (usually am…)

Hey guys, thanks for answering…
I downloaded GPU Caps, and it says my card only supports OpenGL 1.1… but the specifictions from the Nvidia webpage says OpenGL 2.1… is it maybe drivers issue? I have the latest drivers, so I’m very concerned about this…
I checked this before buying it… so I dont get it…
It’s driving me crazy!!! :spin:

uh oh… i’ll be interested to hear your findings… i’ve got a 9600m gt macbook pro on order and i’d hate for all that graphics power to be useless to blender. all this time i’ve been using an ati card and heard how told nvidia is actually the way to go… sigh.

If my 8600m can handle glsl, then a 9600m can.

I don’t know about a 9500 though :frowning:

I downloaded GPU Caps, and it says my card only supports OpenGL 1.1
Are you kidding? Even an integrated Intel extreme graphics chip has OpenGL 1.3… XD

Seriously though, this sounds very weird. Try to update your drivers. By the way, Where did you buy your graphics card from?

Ok guys thanks a lot to all. As I said… I solved the problem…
An advice: if u change your video card… REINSTALL WINDOWS!!!
I dont still get what the problem was… i only know there was a conflict between the old drives of the old card and the new one… :no:
Thanks again

You really shouldn’t have to reinstall windows. Just make sure that you uninstall your old card, take it out, then put in and install the new one. I think…I haven’t actually done it myself :expressionless:

WOW do not do this!!! there is no reason to reinstall windows for a graphics card, ever.
It is very simple to disable a graphics driver and install a new one. And if windows decides to not work initially when you boot up (before drivers are installed for the new card.) then just boot safe mode and install the new drivers.

Guys… i did all the steps you said… and after that is when i found the card was working wrong… that’s why i decided to ask all of you… because i didnt get what was wrong…