Go to new areas?

I want to make a game with various maps, where if you go out one part of the map, you go to a new one, with the same character from the last map. how would I go about doing this?:confused:

thabks i advance

Well, there is more than a way to do this, it depends on what you want to accomplish:

The simpler way is using 2 scenes, then when for example you reach a point, you use the Scene logic brick and go to the next scene ( or the Game logic brick if you want to make the level in a separate .blend ), this way though, the character isn’t “the same”, is another object, a copy.

If for example you wanna make an Rpg where the character has inventory and attributes then you have to save/load such statistic using the Game logic brick and doing Save GameLogic.globalDict and Load GameLogic.globalDict, should be required Python ( seeing the name ).

Unfortunately I still have to learn this part of the game logic, so I can’t help you here, but regarding the simpler metod I uploaded a little example .blend for you…

Hope this help! =)

Cya

EDIT: Almost forgot, in case you didn’t notice you can move the… ehm… “player” with the A and D keys :b

Attachments

ChangeLevelExample.blend (149 KB)

saw something like 8 times in this forum…

actually, the .Blend file doesn’t seem to work. I see, though, that you forgot to connect two of the logic bricks. you might want to test it out your self, but thanks fot the info, I’ll see what happens on mine.

Umm, are you sure it doesn’t work? I have the latest version of Blender and everything works fine o_O

And the 2 disconnected bricks are simply here if you want to use the Game brick instead of the Scene one to load a new .blend ( you disconnect the Scene bricks and connect the Game ones ), so its not an error, if you read the names its quite obvious :b

Well, I will just re-upload the file, maibe before I uploaded the wrong version but i don’t think…

Anyway, just open and press P, if this don’t works neither then its probably you, cause this works to me, 100% sure ( tested just before replying )

Cya

EDIT: Downloaded the first .blend and this works, as i tought… what exactly is that doesn’t work? You move the cube with A and D and as you touch the square you change scene, logically it’s ok so i don’t see how this shouldn’t work o_O

Attachments

ChangeLevelExample.blend (149 KB)

Would it be better to simply change scenes instead of blend files, unless you were loading lots of new assets?

@padre: still won’t work. the block just passes right through the square. but i guess It’s because I’m not using the new version of blender, I’m using 2.48…

Would it be better to simply change scenes instead of blend files, unless you were loading lots of new assets?

If you read the thread or try the .blend file you will see that’s what I’m suggesting… Please read before posting false or already discussed statements, thanks :confused:

@padre: still won’t work. the block just passes right through the square. but i guess It’s because I’m not using the new version of blender, I’m using 2.48…

This explains everything, since to detect the collision between 2 static objects you have to use a Collision sensor attached to an object with the Sensor type of physic, wich is not supported by older versions of Blender… :spin:

So, ye, if you download the latest version of Blender all will be fine :yes:

Cya