goblet of fire

Alright. Haven’t posted in a while. Here’s just a test, doing a harry potter style blue flame.
Domain is 48, Hi Rez is FFT 2, with 100k particles. Let me know what you think!

http://vimeo.com/13969804

here’s a screencap:

Attachments

That blue textures is neat!

Very nicely done.

thanks guys!

I was tinkering with this the other day, and for some reason it still didn’t seem to have the detail that the harry potter movie does. Then, it hit me. I needed to make the inner parts of the flame more transparent, and the edges more vibrant, like real fire:

So, I ended up modifying the color shader and making the denser parts LESS opaque, so just the edges show. Here’s the new result:

Let me know what you guys think, and if you want tutorial or whatnot

Attachments

You need to make a tutorial.

Thanks for sharing the insights, I agree that’s a great experiment! My only suggestion is that I never liked the totally monochromatic look, personally, I think it would be great if you added some other licks of yellow or green or purple to the occaisional tip of the flame

@walshlg: that’s actually a good idea. I was so focused on getting the look right, I didn’t think about improving it artistically. I’ll try that next time!

A tutorial would be great. This type of effect has always been like black art.
Thanks for the tute if you get time…
best2ya

cool, alright. expect a quick tutorial in the next couple of days.

Looks awesome. Great job.

Here goes: I decided to do a longer text tutorial because ideas always come to me and I always want to go back and edit later :eyebrowlift2:

EDIT:

Keep in mind, this is my technique for doing stylized fire, and not pure “realism.”
-Enjoy!

Awesome, thanks!

Are the shader settings for the domain or the sphere?

Thanks for the time…I’ll have to play now.

wow that was quick! I really like this tut style too, combo of written and vid is perfect imho, thanks a lot

no prob and thanks for the feedback!

@rvngizswt: all the shader settings are for the Domain