Godot 4.2 released; A brand new era of FOSS game creation software

For anyone who does not know, Solar Lune (a Blender user who used to be very active in the BGE forums) has been doing livestreams of things he is doing in Godot (giving a good insight on the workflow with version 3).

Here’s his most recent one where he’s building a platformer (a very long video, but shows the full process of game creation).

cool program, new to coding and GD script so progress is painfully slow, but love how the app is node based with instancing of nodes into your main scene,

A heads up, RC2 has been released and contains fixes for issues such as crashes, regressions, and bugs considered a serious blocker for users.

The final 3.0 release should be around the corner as they hammer out the small number of remaining issues seen as serious.

Just now born gorgeously amazing engine…We are ready for AAA blockbusters!!:yes:

RC3 has been released (see first post).

This includes fixes for more critical bugs like usual, they want to make sure that any issues seen as a real showstopper are ironed out.

What we do need to note though is that game creation with C# won’t be production-ready until version 3.1 at the earliest (still a number of issues that will take time to fix), creating with the new GDnative version of GDscript should be fine though (if you still need an option for more performance in game logic).

Also take a look around the new website.

Godot 3.0 is the final result of a project that wound up being far larger than originally envisioned. Instead of simply having a new renderer and a better 3D workflow, a large chunk of the engine has been rewritten and a huge number of features have been added (covering things from scripting to physics).

The next couple of months will see a focus on fixing the currently outstanding issues and on adding missing features (such as bringing back the visual shader editor).

This took 18 months of solid development (and is something, I would argue, could not have happened without the high number of prolific contributors and the new Patreon donation system).

Enjoy :slight_smile:

So happy! I can start my next game now. Preplanning done - onwards to the next phase.

This is a great release. I am awaiting the SVG mesh support.

I am a bit hesitant to jump to this release(3.0). I just started learning the engine last year and am busying doing the already slightly outdated Games From Scratch tutorials but once I am finished with those, I think I will jump in with both feet. This is about the only game engine my foggy oldish brain understands. Last year I spent the first half of the year trying to learn the node system of Unreal and never made head or tails of it.

Godot engine 3.0 is so amazing…amazing!!..after 18 months hard development we have really,really GREAT engine,Thanks very much all developers,contributors and Godot community…and we have FULL DISNEY PBR IMPLEMENTATION!!!..yeah!:yes:

Now that Godot got visual scripting and VR support, it’s getting interesting :yes:

They just need to add Steam Audio for proper positional VR audio and offer jump-start (template) projects for Rift/Vive/WindowsMR.

New “oversample dynamic font” feature is something that I was hopping for. The real time localization is very nice too!

I don’t find godot very user friendly. Can’t even figure out how to navigate in viewport. All I can do is zoom and rotate and there doesn’t seem to be any documentation anywhere.

Might want to look in the editor preferences. Plenty of options and lists each modifier key for navigation.

Not sure how much you searched but the GDScript docs are built in and the engine docs are available in http://docs.godotengine.org/en/3.0/. The Youtube has so many tutorials (GDQuest have great ones). It may be scary for new users but at least for me it wasn’t more intimidating than UE4 or Unity. Give it some days and you find it very simple and powerful.

For those who tried Godot at version 2 and had reservations about GDscript, try again. GDscript now has its own approach to enums, match statements (similar to the switch statement in C++), and a few other new features you don’t find in Python. Then you have its compiled variant GDnative (high performance, but needs an external editor for now as the built-in one doesn’t support it yet).

Or if you like the way Unity does things and don’t like change, it offers C# now too (though it’s a notably more complex beast than GDscript).

A good tutorial series on getting used to how the app works (version 2.14)

yeah, I’ve been reading those. I found out I can press “F” on the selected object and it will put viewport on that object. I guess what I was looking for was like a pan viewport option(like in the 2D). Another thing I can’t figure out is how the heck to change name of node. From pictures I’ve seen online it’s possible ,but I haven’t figure it out yet. There’s no “Rename” when right clicking and I haven’t seen any renaming options on any of the properties for the selected node. Something that should be simple seems difficult.

Edit:
OK, I figured it out. Double click the left mouse button will let you rename.

Uhmm… Identical to Blender?

In 3D mode: middle mouse button to orbit, <shift>-MMB to pan the view, and <ctrl>-MMB zoom in and out.

In 2D mode: MMB to pan the view. Or hold down space and click with the LMB to pan. Like Photoshop - industry standard behaviour.

All standard controls, nothing odd here.

Now if only Godot had character controllers…

I tend to use an AABB in most other game engines …and kinda have to code my own…I don’t even use the CC in unity…I do use the CC in blender though…I am probably the only one :slight_smile: and it is the only engine that I use one in…odd indeed.