Godot 4.2 released; A brand new era of FOSS game creation software

It’s interesting (but cool) that they went with Blender’s navigation by default scheme as opposed to the more common Maya scheme that other engines use. However they let you change this in the options so you can have the Maya scheme and the Modo scheme.

no, but I like how every software IS the industry standard, based on who you are a fan of. :slight_smile:

for me Blender is the industry standard.

Blender could very well be the standard in the future since a lot of people who are interested in CG can freely use it, it has a lot of tuts online and indie devs are looking to save the cost of licensing, etc. Blender is good enough in that respect and that’s how you build a groundswell of support from future generations. It’s how Unity got to where it is and if Godot emphasizes things like ease of use, better built-in tools (a terrain editor, particle editor, etc) It could very well steal a few users away from Unity. But who knows, the way the industry chooses “standards” doesn’t always make sense.

That being said I’ve seen too many apps use Maya’s key scheme for navigation for it to not be a standard at this point. Almost every app I know at least has the option to use the scheme. I personally prefer it over Blender’s. I like using the middle mouse click to pan, that seems pretty standard in pretty much all applications at this point. Just like using the middle scroll button zooms in and out.

From what I’ve read about it, Godotis pretty impressive, and the new version looks like something with amazing potential. I may be considering learning to build projects with it.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Bauxitedev/godot-hair-shader/master/example/hair.gif

Is released

It includes a number of bugfixes and smaller enhancements/features. A fair warning to those tinkering with C# though, the heavy WIP nature of its support means switching will not be straightforward as with those using GDscript or GDnative.

Current plans are for another patch release and then Godot 3.1 (stabilization will start when the GLES2 renderer is finished). Godot 2.1.5 will also be released soon with some backported bugfixes and features.

The new $node icing is saving me a lot of extra work already! Love this new release so far.

wholly crap 9million verts in that scene cover image…I mean I know that other engines do that as well, but I could never get that count on my current system I wonder what his rig is running???

Note, do not use this for production yet. Only use for testing and reporting issues.

It’s a new native exporter just for Blender (and in the end is promised to be superior and less issue-prone than the Better Collada exporter). Once this is fleshed out, then it will further hammer the BGE’s workflow advantage in terms of asset and level creation.

Uhh, no, it wont.

To be clear…I think this is great…but while it will improve the workflow…it will not come close to being able to compete with the BGE workflow…I mean…you never have to leave blender for anything…anim, texture painting, level design or coding…hell you do not even need to leave fro pre-rendered cut scenes…not that there is a need for those anymore…
but to re-iterate…no.

Seems like Godot will get Vulkan support after the 3.1 release is finished and it might be replace the current OpenGL ES 3 backend in the future and become Godots default backend for destops besides OpenGL ES 2.0 for mobile and web. But it (hopefully) shouldn’t break older projects because it’s an internal change.
More info: https://godotengine.org/article/abandoning-gles3-vulkan-and-gles2

Thats sounds interesting, let’s see what will happening. Hopefully it’s take not to much time so that new (rendering specific) features can be added again soon.

By the looks of things, new 3D rendering features have again been put on hold and WebGL support may actually be downgraded (due to issues with slow adoption and compatibility).

It also looks like that Android has become a massive anchor in terms of advancing the world of gaming on mobile (so for gaming purposes, Google could start to face a sinking ship in wealthier countries if it doesn’t get the massive fragmentation under control). Then you have Apple trying to push its own proprietary API, which could’ve become a major problem for commercial and free game engines alike if not for recent moves to try to ease the ability to work with both Vulkan and Metal.

In a way, I’m starting to wonder if the Godot devs. should just have a cut down feature set for mobile at the moment. Android is fragmented in a huge way and it’s difficult for developers to make any money on that platform (and in some cases even making games that work). Apple is increasingly fragmenting their ecosystem (now you have an exotic “notched screen” format) as well as the occasional rule change that catch devs. in the crossfire (no guns in the game icon including fantasy weapons, the kneejerk reaction that removed American Civil-war games, ect…). Microsoft continues to stumble and is continually changing their ideas of how to get Windows adopted by more people. By the looks of things, mobile is increasingly becoming a messy platform which is even making PC look stable (despite differences in hardware).

Onto the compatibility thing, the Godot devs. may need to figure out when to just pull support for certain platforms and hardware (trying to support everything under the sun with the same feature set may be a lot more work than it should be).

Not entirely true… 3D games on mobile are only available for higher end platforms and there is no fragmentation there. It’s more like PC - scalable from integrated GPUs to high-end dedicated GPUs.

Mobile VR platforms are pretty much the same. So making something for Android 6+ will guarantee to work on all mobile VR platforms.

So if Gotot has ES2 / ES3.1 and Vulkan mobile render paths, it will work on any high-end non-VR and VR mobile platform.

As far as weapons in games - you do you. I personally don’t care and will have weapons in my games unless it’s made unlawful to make games with weapons.

Godot 3.0.2 has been released way ahead of schedule (because of some notable regressions in version 3.0.1)

Bugfixes only this time (but the fixed regressions are not the only ones). The next patch release will be the end of March (but might come out sooner depending on the severity of bugs reported).

A couple more cool videos of what Godot is capable of

This is all Godot 3 by the way, you can see how the 3D part’s been stepped up quite a bit.

No pretty VR videos? /sigh

Not bad. Is there Android .apk I can test on my Gear VR? Or .exe to run it on my Rift ?

I’m not sure of all the devices Godot’s VR functionality supports, but the VR Primer seen in the docs. mentions mobile devices.

Check out what Godot can do with arcade type games. It’s also an example of what a budding developer without a lot of experience can get (according to the video’s description).

EDIT: Here is an example of someone coming from Unity to make something in Godot (according to the video description.