Godot 4.2 released; A brand new era of FOSS game creation software

If Godot didn’t belong here, the thread would’ve been moved or locked a long time ago. That’s not to mention that Blender is one of the primary tools used by Godot developers to make their content with.

I used to make product announcements in the General Discussion forum (that was until I found the moderators were moving them to News & Chat).

Alright, but where do I ask devs about adding Gear VR support (note that it’s not generic “mobile VR”, it’s very specific mobile VR - Gear VR) ? IRC sucks as no one is ever there (bunch of inactive people).

Why don’t you just email them? They list multiple email addresses on their contact page.

Just did, thanks!

Godot 3.0 showing some real-time GI:

http://i.imgur.com/ujdNSte.gif

@SamCameron That looks really nice. I’ve never had any real interest in making 2D games so I’ve never taken a good look at Godot but their new 3D render engine looks cool. I’m looking forward to the new 3.0 release.

New progress report on Godotengine.org
https://godotengine.org/article/godot-30-new-progress-report-and-gdc

Last month, the import/export system has been simplified and made easier to use (now it’s a little bit more in the vein of how Unity does things). It also suggests .fbx files will be supported in the future, but Collada takes priority.

Still not a word about VR :confused: Godot is the engine of the past, unfortunately.

VR is great and all but it’s still out of the price range for most people. Unless they make a cheaper for next gen consoles it will never take off as consoles have.

Or maybe people want the ability to make console-quality 3D games first before they jump on that bandwagon.

I don’t get why one thinks VR should be the number 1 priority (as that genre will only encompass a small fraction of total game releases in the foreseeable future, that and the fact that you can’t implement cutting edge tech unless you first have a solid foundation to build on).

Godot 3’s new 3D rendering engine is that foundation (once that is done, you have a lot of possibilities ahead which might include VR).

It’s $660 for Rift+Touch+3rd sensor for room scale. If you already have at least i3 Skylake CPU, $250 for 1060 6Gb GTX is all you need. For a working person in US/CA/EU/etc. it’s affordable, especially through a loan and stretched through one year.

Because VR is a new frontier.

Why use Godot for consoles, when Unity and UE4 already offer more than what Godot does?! And I bet Epic/Unity have deals with platform holders, unlike Godot. On top of that it’s increasingly hard for indies, due to market saturation, to release and make money on Steam and consoles (and console development is still quite pricey).

So VR is a logical choice when it comes to future success and prosperity.

Future success is not predictable. Indie games are not the way you want to experience VR. Shooting bubbles and minecraft clones.

Unless Ubisoft or EA make an action game for it , then it won’t take off. I’m not ready to spend half my pay check on something that is still in beta phase.

Godot is great if you want to keep some % of gross revenue. :eyebrowlift2:

you might even rightfully say; giving 5% of the gross revenue for some of the mentioned game engines is easy and
wouldn`t hurt.
Just keep in mind, that some digital stores want as much as 30% of the gross revenue form you.
It adds up and in the given example ~35% of gross revenue is for sure going directly into other pockets.

So the Godot devs. should just stop with developing the functionality that is missing compared to Unity/UE4 and have all hands on deck with VR?

Sound logic there, the Blender devs. in the early years had a model where bells and whistles took precedence over doing things right and getting the basics down (which bit them in the butt later in the form of areas needing a complete overhaul due to how bad the code got). They are still working on tearing down those old systems and placing new, properly done, and future-proof systems in their place for 2.8.

Thirdly, you can’t just claim that people can just spend 600 bucks as if it’s pocket-change (and the barriers to VR is more than just cost when you look at just how much setup is required at the moment. I would say it may not be completely practical until we finally realize the idea of wireless power and get rid of the cables).

Last I read, demand/sales for VR has been disappointing anyway.

yup, when a decent VR headset will be available for less than $200… it will become the norm

If you go via publisher, you will have to share even more %%