Godot 4.2 released; A brand new era of FOSS game creation software

If you have Samsung Galaxy S6 and up, decent HMD (GearVR) costs $100.If you have Daydream compatible phone, Daydream HMD costs $50.

Back in the days, not everyone could afford Riva TNT, and yet today we can’t even imagine games or CG field without GPUs.

Last time I checked VR was a bleeding edge tech.

It will take some time before it will become ubiquitous. However, there are enough units in the wild to make stuff for and make money. Or make stuff for free of charge. Or enterprise where VR is in demand.

But they can fork over the same amount on 4k TV or PS4+PSVR ?!

If you live in China/Japan/Australia-NZ/NA/EU and if you have an okay job, you can afford VR (get a loan). I don’t know anyone who can just throw $600 cash on entertainment, but everyone I know have no problem getting loans for some other stuff that isn’t emergency / necessity. So, yeah, $600 is quite affordable (through a loan) in the regions I just mentioned.

What barrier?! Have you even built a PC? Well, setting up VR is much easier than building a PC. Not as simplistic as popping phone into Gear VR or Daydream, but extremely easy, especially with Rift.

You aren’t getting high quality wireless VR until desktop PC will shrink into the size of the phone or wireless transmission and video compression are so fast/high quality that you can stream to HMD.

4K TV is not a practical thing to spend money on right now either (the content library is still pretty small and the difference won’t look that much better than 1080P unless your TV is huge).

The only place I could see 4K being practical right now at the home is VR (but that just raises your costs a bit more since you would need a GPU that can handle it). That’s not to mention that we don’t have 4K headsets right now.

I am not asking you if it’s practical or not.

I am telling you the fact that working people spend a lot more money on junk. They can spend it on VR. It’s not longer a matter of cost. It’s a matter of lack of content. That’s one of the bigger reasons now why people are not buying VR. It’s a catch-22 situation, where devs don’t make quality content because platform is too young. However, if people aren’t buying it, devs are not developing for it.

Oculus funds quality projects to attract more people to the platform, so devs could rely on sales to keep it going.

The point is that there are only 2 solid engines that support VR - UE4 and Unity.

Anyhow, I am not here to defend new tech as it’s obvious that’s awesome. I was simply wondering if Godot devs tried VR, since it was a huge part of GDC 2017 and if they did, what’s the reason for not even making plans for VR capacity for Godot (putting obvious lack of time and manpower aside).

VR has been around for 30 years. It has promised “the future” since before the internet. I’d hardly call it bleeding edge. It struggles commercially because:

1. It is too expensive
  2. The hardware is clunky. e.g. what if your phone rings while you’re “jacked in?”
  3. It doesn’t solve a problem anyone has.

Even Gabe Newell isn’t completely sold on it.

“I can’t point to a single piece of content that would cause millions of people to justify changing their home computing…” he said. “If you took the existing VR systems and made them 80 percent cheaper, that’s still not a huge market. There’s still not a really incredibly compelling reason for people to spend 20 hours a day in VR… There’s an old joke that premature cost reduction is the root of all evil.”

You’re missing the point motorsep. Many of us know that there is a thing called fad, many of us have already spent money on something that is in a corner somewhere or didn’t go anywhere.

Unless it becomes 200€ and there are games and it’s really nice, then no one is going to invest.

It’s like saying “wireless phones were around for like 50 years” when talking about cell phones.

It doesn’t look like you did your homework before starting this argument.

If you have a steady job, it’s not.

Remember first cell phones? Huge bricks. Looks where we are now. When phone rings you see an icon popping in VR saying “Such and such person is calling”, when using smartphone. If you are in VR and your smartphone on the desk, well, if it’s important they will leave you a message.

And what problem is that? Does 4k TV solve your problems? Does your smartphone solve you problems? Does your gaming console solve you problems?

I have a problem - I want better job, I want to stop commuting all the time. There is nothing in my life that solves these problems at this point of time. Not even Blender or Godot! :stuck_out_tongue:

You pulled that quote out of context. Of course Gaben is sold on VR (for those who are not in the trend, read whole article and not just xrg’s quote). Why would Valve invest so much time and resources into Vive, and have 3 VR titles in work for Vive? Obviously because they simply need a write off for taxes! /s

Also, do you spend 20 hrs a day playing games ? If so, someone needs to see a doctor and rather soon :wink:

Well, with number of units sold and AAA titles being released for VR this year, it’s no longer can be considered a fad.

On top of that enterprise has been using VR heavily.

If you don’t care for something, you won’t buy it for $50. So no, like GabeN mentioned in that GDC interview (link in xrg’s post) it’s not about price at all. Again, if you live in 3rd world developing country where surviving every day is a struggle on its own, I’d say yes, price is the issue (but then 200EUR won’t help it either). But since you mentioned EUR, you can afford 600EUR (assuming you have VR ready PC).

I do agree with content issues. There only a handful of games to play right now and not all genres are represented.

I really think you should stick to UE4 then Motorsep, it’s right up your alley with Epic planning to shaft a decent chunk of their userbase by focusing almost exclusively on VR for the next year (so the only requests they listen to will be the ones that tie into that goal).

Heck, they are such big believers in VR that users report patches rotting in the tracker because they are not critical to “the mission”. The Godot devs. meanwhile have their priorities based on what Godot itself and the userbase needs the most (so it’s natural that VR won’t be coming until sometime in the future).

Alright :frowning:

motorsep
to explain further my norm of DECENT
from experience i find only vive, or2 as decent (usable, playable, interesting/interactive… for more than an hour in one go)… mobiles - samsung lag, makes many sick fast…
am assuming 5years or so

Did you try Samsung with Cardboard? :slight_smile: Samsung plugs into Gear VR, which has high frequency IMUs and is driven by the same software that drives Oculus Rift rotational head tracking. So, I don’t know what Samsung you tried, but Samsung Galaxy S6 with Gear VR has flawless rotational tracking. Zero lag.

What it doesn’t have is positional tracking. Not too big of a deal when simply sitting in a swivel chair, but lack of positional tracking can contribute to motion sickness if you start moving around.

@motorsep If you had bothered to do any research, you would know that VR support is a target for Godot 3.1. The main developer Reduz has confirmed several times that it is a target and that he has both an Occulus and Vive system. There is already a developer working on OpenVR, but the main priority now is getting 3.0 stable and to release the first alpha in a month or so. VR support will not take forever, but right now it is not a priority.

As a Blender user, you should have an understanding of how open source works and that whinging on this forum helps no one! If you want to help then contact one of the devs or show some initiative yourself…

Btw, Godot is indeed the engine of the future :slight_smile:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kaSAVoaeYJ70U19MuePJhB4f-6PLSuX-nQ_uBII3_KI/edit#gid=0https://github.com/godotengine/godot/pull/8025

If someone have bothered to say about 3.1 and VR support pages ago, none of this arguments would happen. However, no one did and instead these several folks began bashing VR for absolutely no good reason. People appear to be uneducated about VR and I feel I have to educate them to a certain degree. There is no whining here about Godot not supporting VR.

Good to know they will have it, thanks!

Also, I talked to someone on IRC about VR and they told me “what’s VR?! Just a stereo rendering for left and right eye. Godot can do that already.” which was …eehhh… wrong. So, “VR support” could just mean that :wink:

No, they are aiming for full VR support. As I understand, it will be initially OpenVR, but eventually full Occulus and Vive support. Why don’t you contact the github dev I linked to who is working on OpenVR. He is looking for feedback:

Additionally, Reduz(Juan) who is the lead developer of Godot and is the one to ask fi you want to know overall future plans.

If you have are a C++ developer yourself and are experienced in VR then why not get involved yourself and leave a mark on the engine…which is the whole beauty of the open source model. At the very least, help test out the current OpenVR work if you can and leave feedback…Remember it is very early days though and Godot 3.0 is not even in official alpha yet, though it is fine for tinkering with.

Unfortunately I am not a C++ programmer.

There is a lot more detail on future VR plans on Github and a test scene for Godot 2.2. This is the guy you should be talking to!

VR topic is boring, it’s not time to talk about that when there’s more important features needed at this time. Let’s go back to the real deal, the upcoming features for 3.0, I’ve been trying the new graphic engine and it’s quite good:

Introducing DLscript

What it is basically is a C-like way to use native functions inside of Godot while also giving the ability to link to external code sources (Steamworks and the Google Play API for instance). The other advantage is that it has far higher performance than GDscript, but this comes at the cost of it requiring the use of an external editor (possibly a compiler) along with it requiring a more involved process with the file system.

So in a way, you can’t just quick write something in one minute and jump into the game (but it will be good news to people who have issues with performance in trying to do certain game mechanics). It will also be good news for those coming from Unity since it will have the ability to connect with C# libraries.