Godot 4.2 released; A brand new era of FOSS game creation software

If they do fair enough that’s cool, but as far as I can tell the C++ is just the source right? Because scripting is a little different. Rather just use one of the extremely common languages many people know than use another thats exclusive to this one engine. Disappointment there is no official console support, though I get why.

if you have access to the C++ source code you can extend and write the game directly on C++, what you are requesting doesn’t have any sense, if your plan is to write your game on C++ you have to use a compiler and use the source code. As I mention to you in the previous post, the reason for having its own language is to make things easier than any other language and a great introduction to programming for new people like me on the programming side. About consoles, there’s support but you have to contact them directly, there’s also an implementation of Godot for 3DS from a guy:

From reading the Unity forums, the languages which serve as alternatives (like Boo) are at the point where they practically seem like afterthoughts compared to C#. The engine has few people who even use those languages and C# gets the vast majority of development and documentation work.

Unity used to have a basket of languages to pick from, but now it’s more or less a C# engine (much like how a lot of the development in Godot will still target its use with GDscript). The nice thing about GDscript is that it is easy to use and allows for the rapid creation of game mechanics (that and having useful features that are not found in similar languages such as Python). The other major benefit is that a custom language allows for a neat alignment with the design of the application (and Godot’s design is different from other engines not just to be different, but better).

That’s not to say that Reduz opposes a comprehensive implementation of another language, only that he expects the responsibility for that to mainly be with the developer who writes the patch.

I’m not requesting anything. My point was that having access to source code and working from there is different from what you usually call scripting language in a game. Scripting is usually far further abstracted from source, usually requires no compiling and while more limited, is quicker to work with.

I am a programmer and I can’t see whats been made “easier than any other language”. It’s extremely similar except it’s missing things like switch statements that haven’t been developed yet. Also it would be a terrible introduction for a non-programmer since they could just learn something that syntax wise is incredibly similar but is actually used in multiple industries.

C++ is not an scripting language, how would you work with C++ on Unreal without using visual studio and the source code? It’s pretty much the same on Godot as far as I know. About the simplicity of gdscript, you don’t need to use many of the syntax found in other languages like python, lua, javascript or others, you can do pretty much the same with less syntax and rules, that’s the magic of gdscript and a great introduction for very basic knowledge on programming, then the jump from gdscript to python or similar are much easier once you know how to move around using the basic programming on Godot/Gdscript.

Ive started working on a 3d game using godot. After trying Unity and then moving to UE4 for the last project, Ive found godot is pretty fresh, light and relatively easy to use.

Is there any eta on when 3.0 will be released?

@Gibbz
An Alpha is planned for gdc. So end of february. A stable version will probably take some time longer.

Be aware, that everything you are starting with 2.1.x needs to be ported to 3.0 later. It will introduce a compatibility breakage.

3.0 will be a really huge release!

Too bad devs aren’t responsive on Twitter or/and Reddit. I was wondering if they plan adding Gear VR support any time soon.

motorsep, you should contact them on irc(#godotengine-devel)
They are very active there.

As far as I know there were some people investigating into VR. But I am not very sure.

Thanks. I am there now,but Calinou isn’t around. Apparently he is the only person who knows.

@motorsep
reduz is the main dev. He can answer any question ^^

Basically a collection of bugfixes, documentation, and smaller features (don’t expect any major items from version 3 like visual scripting). The team is also open to more periodic releases until 3.0 is out and perhaps even afterward.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

I could not get anyone to respond whether VR will be a main target any time soon or not (I was told there are is a stereo camera patch, which isn’t really VR and there is 3rd party fork with Google VR support) :confused:

I think aiming for proper mobile VR support could be one of the strengths of Godot.

Progress report #4 (Godot 3.0).

Basically a rundown as to what has changed in general, including…

• GDscript is easier than ever (through changes such as not requiring getters/setters so much for properties)
  • A new import system (with a dock to easily re-import with different options set if needed).
  • Various math-based functions are done properly now
  • A new Audio engine (with sound filters and other effects).
  • Better performance through better internal design
  • An option for high-precision compiling (for things like large worlds)
  • Various nonsensical design decisions rethought (such as the handling of dictionaries)
  • And longstanding issues resolved

Since we’re still months away from alpha yet, it’s likely a lot more changes will be coming. Stay tuned.

Any news about full and proper Gear VR support ?

Not at the moment.

I don’t know how much thought has gone into Mobile VR platforms in general though, as it’s just strapping a screen to your face without the features needed to minimize motion sickness.

Not sure what you mean. If you mean how much Godot thought of mobile VR, I have no idea.

If you mean that Gear VR is simply a stereo rendering, you are so dead wrong.

Oculus has had a team of top scientist working on Gear VR for the past 3 years or so. Samsung Galaxy S6 and newer have special mode for screen when VR software kicks in. Gear VR itself has specially calibrated IMUs to provide extremely low latency head tracking. The software itself has bunch of awesome stuff like async time warp which contributes a ton to reducing latency and image quality, lens distortion shader to minimize distortion of the image per eye, etc. etc. Not to mention HRTF 3D audio.

So, Oculus provides SDK for Mobile VR and VR Audio. All Godot folks need to do is to provide proper integration. Oculus would be more than happy (especially Carmack, since he loves lean engines) to help with proper integration.

Not sure what product you are talking about, but like almost every mobile VR solution, GearVR doesn’t have head tracking. Don’t confuse head tracking with rotational tracking.

Without proper head tracking, almost any head motion will induce motion sickness, depending on how sensitive you are. That’s on top of any other motion sickness that VR devices already induce.

The software itself has bunch of awesome stuff like async time warp which contributes a ton to reducing latency and image quality, lens distortion shader to minimize distortion of the image per eye…

Yeah… and it still sucks.

I have trouble understanding why people are jumping to the crossover of two terrible markets (mobile and VR). Don’t let the size of a market (or the hype surrounding it) lead you to believe that you’ll be able to compete in it.

This is the market we’re talking about:

If this is going to be a debate on the merits of Mobile VR and how much potential it has, I would rather that a separate thread be started for it so this one can focus on the latest Godot developments.

Well, this is Blender’s forum, so Godot technically doesn’t belong here either;)

@BeerBaron I knew you were retarded, just didn’t know to what point. Now I do.