Godot 4.2 released; A brand new era of FOSS game creation software

Blender already has onion skinning, it’s called Ghost though.

It appears they got quite a funding boost through the latest cryptocurrency craze. An (ethereum based?) currency called Enjin Coin that is supposed to be usefull for making ingame transactions and connecting these to ingame transactions in other games will be implemented. They also boost the patreon funding with 1500$/month.

The first 3.0 Beta build is up for download!

Announcement and download here

Just saw that on twitter…nice, this should progress the refinement nicely…they already did so much work in this release and just under a year I think…amazing.

I’ve done a runthrough (not really a tutorial) showing a process to author PBR materials in Krita/Blender for export to Godot 3.

Amazing.

A last-minute light mapper was added, and it looks easier to use than others I have seen.

Juan Linietsky’s states:

I thought it may not be too difficult to add one, so I started work on Sunday and completed it on Wednesday.

Hilarious.

UVs, light probes,… All done automatically for the user. Nice.

I finally tested Godot and im impressed! I must say, i really like it.

Juan Linietsky…you are a genius…THIS IS AMAZING…Thanks all for your hard works on that really…really great engine!!

Great short tutorial. Great voice and presentation.

This will be great for the mobile developers and anyone who wants cheap GI at a high resolution.

The engine keeps giving some awesome surprises that weren’t initially on the roadmap, version 2 will look quite outdated in comparison :smiley:

Beta 2 is out

It’s taking longer than hoped for a stable release, but they are fixing many issues at the moment.

Godot 3.0 final is now targeted for very early in 2018 (because they want to make sure that all major issues are resolved).

Ive ported my bge file to Godot, just for a test of the pbr shading. :slight_smile:
Image: http://pasteall.org/pic/index.php?id=121230

And how about VR support ?

There’s a VR support for mobile device (I only tested on Android) and “true” VR device.

I can’t even fathom how far ahead this engine has gone in mere 3 years coughbgecough

btw there are some blender wasm demo running inside firefox as well

guys, wasm is the future, WebAss MMMMMMMM

Godot is starting to make its first waves in the communities of other major game engines.
https://forum.unity.com/threads/thinking-about-moving-to-godot.510826/

Now if you need an established tool with a developed ecosystem of powerful plugins, they correctly point out that you’re still better off with Unity. However, there’s also a lot of mention of the rapid development and the ecosystem that is likely to come with it (and even some praise for the way Godot has done some things differently).

Meanwhile, the Godot team (with the help of many contributors) is busy smashing all of the more serious bugs as they race towards the final release of version 3 (since the repo is now fully frozen in terms of features). In my view, the Godot team doesn’t make bugfixing a high priority until near the end of the dev. cycle (which also appears to work as official builds are pretty stable).

The OpenVR implementation is actually pretty good. I started working on a VR Homeworld clone using it over my Holiday break.Unfortunately now that work has started back up I’m only able to work on it on weekends. But I’ve genuinely found it faster to prototype in Godot than in Unity (I just wish Godot had a 3D Trail Renderer. Using particle systems for the engine trails isn’t great and I don’t know how to roll my own shader for it).

Also due to a still open bug it’s currently impossible to export a runnable Windows exe that links GDNative libraries, so I can’t distribute the ultra-pre-alpha build.

yes, I am very impressed with it…I am more than likely moving my next project to Godot…well the 3.x series.

Before you download, you might want to wait until later this week when RC2 comes out if you don’t want to deal with bugs as much (some regressions are present and will be fixed). They also say the final release has been delayed for a couple weeks now due to all of the bug reports coming in (they want to make sure the release is as stable as possible with features working largely as intended).

They are getting closer though, and the number of bugs being smashed daily (on average) is the highest it’s ever been in the current release cycle (lots of patches being submitted with the intent to fix issues), they hope to have a good quality final build out this month.

That leaves one final thing, Godot 3.0 will have some lingering issues with new features that are slated to be fixed for version 3.1 (but are not critical issues, showstoppers, or regressions), so it will be fully usable and capable nonetheless. They also note that the C#/Mono implementation should be treated as a beta feature (you can start using the language, but there’s still a lot of polish and fleshing out to do yet).

Enjoy, and better get the bugs that bug you reported to the tracker immediately, as you’re running out of time.

this development seems to going in a really interesting direction…really fast and really nice features…I would not be surprised to see this being a really big attraction for a lot of developers…and I also see Godot getting closer to UE4 level over the next year…and being completely open source…zoinks scoob!

I am super pumped about Godot…and WILL be on it when I start rolling into Myrlea II.