Godot 4.2 released; A brand new era of FOSS game creation software

here you can download 3.0 Alpha
https://downloads.tuxfamily.org/godotengine/3.0/alpha1/

Fundraising goal number 1 is achieved

As a result, Reduz is spending a lot more time on Godot than would otherwise be possible. If they make the next goal, they can start to pay other core developers for short periods (and quickly turn Godot into one of the best things that FOSS is producing).

For the adventurous (and for those who who canā€™t wait for official beta builds). I found a (currently) little known page that is staying very up to date on delivering builds with the latest commits for Godot 3 (even more so than the better known sources). All platforms are represented.
http://godot3builds.digitecnology.com/index.php

The current builds should be significantly more usable than the official alpha build (and only become better in the time between now and the release).

Enjoy :slight_smile:

An example of simple 3D gameplay in action using the new graphics (from Juan).

This alone should really emphasize how far ahead Godot 3 is compared to Godot 2 (showcasing the new graphics and improved sound):slight_smile:

Also, something I whipped up recently (showing the power of Godotā€™s new shading API). The API itself is not too daunting when taking into account the high level stuff it has (ie. you donā€™t have to do any complex vector math to create a material with proper lighting and working normalmaps).

Someone already made a nice looking game with Godot 3.0 alpha (short, but it should be a decent example of how far the engine has come in 3D.

The engineā€™s usability is rapidly improving and I myself am finding it suitable for some level of game creation now (all the major things appear to work in recent builds). Check the site linked in post 226 for daily builds.

The new rendering engine; The reasons behind its design

One of my favorite parts is the custom shader API which does not require any sort of complex OpenGL knowledge, Iā€™ve written a couple of scripts already and it sure looks to be far easier to deal with than the raw GLSL the BGE makes you use (and then throws salt onto your effort with no realtime error/syntax reporting and no editor view).

It also reiterates their goal of not making a Unity, but rather making something better (with superior usability and flexibility).

One other neat thing, recent builds allow you to convert your Spatial materials into Shader materials (a nice little way of learning how the API works or if you need more power).

Godot 3.0 is looking good indeed. I have made some quick tests with the 2.x Godot and the most surprising thing about the 3D-editor was the lack of a proper Terrain node in 3D (optionally with painting objects, trees, grass etc.). Unity and Unreal both have nice ones and a lot of games will need it even if they donā€™t require not mega-scale open world maps. There are tutorials and plugins to help the situation, but integrating a common native terrain solution would probably help with physics, navigation, LOD, documentation and overall maintenance.

Godot 3.0 Alpha 2 will contain the initial implementation of the C# language (same language that Unity developers make use of).

This language in general is a bit more complex in terms of use compared to GDscript and even GDnative (and like GDnative will require the use of external editing). However, there are features that will help you set up that environment (currently usable with Xamarin Studio or Visual Studio Code).

Interesting. What was the decision behind adding C# support. I like C# for the most part but GDScript is very nice as it is.

As someone who uses C# itā€™s just a nice language to work with, and I wouldnā€™t want to take the time to learn GDscript since itā€™s only usable in Godot. Also, adding support for more languages can attract more developers. Iā€™ve seen a lot of Unity devs who wont switch to Unreal because it uses C++. In addition, the C# integration for Godot was sponsored by Microsoft. So itā€™s not like doing this took resources away from other parts of the engine.

I get it but what will happen is that at some point people wonā€™t touch GDScript. Itā€™s exactly what happened to UnityScript so many moons ago. At this point they may as well just call it.

They also added support for Python, so that is 4 languages you can choose from now (and some of those people might be reluctant towards even touching C#).

At this point, Reduz and the main developers are focused on GDscript and the other languages are independent projects by other developers. They actually posted an article a year or so back where they were open to other developers implementing their language of choice in the engine (providing the final patch met certain criteria).

With the number of developers continually increasing (look at all of the pull requests made daily), the number of areas that could be updated concurrently is increasing, the 3 alternative languages can indeed be maintained as long as each one has a developer working on it.

More games are being made in Godot 3.

Remember, this stuff is in alpha builds (so it demonstrates how usable the new 3D engine is already). This type of quality I have definitely not seen too much of from the BGE (the game in the video is said to be using Blender as the asset creator by the way).

Go and get it

Lots of enhancements and bugfixes have been done since Alpha 1, this is also the first official build with the experimental C# support (still pretty rough though).

The third major thing is that looking through the commit log, there should be a lot more documentation now in Godotā€™s built-in API reference (so less searching online to see what a function does).

Godot is officially switching to using Bullet for its physics engine instead of the custom one it uses now (for the 3D part at least). The old 2.x one is still going to be in version 3 for compatibility purposes, but will be removed entirely in version 3.1.

This is also a good example of the traction the engine has gotten in terms of volunteer work, as the only work done by Reduz was in the area of code review.

The Bullet implementation is fully featured and should support everything that the physics engine in 2.x could do (but is obviously going to be much better).

This should be in various daily builds starting tomorrow, have fun :slight_smile:

Nice, I am seriously considering making my next game in Godot 3.x after stability release 3.1 or soā€¦

The Godot devs. need a little bit more of a funding push so they can hire a second developer (so it would be Reduz and Thomas then).

Their little meter shows theyā€™re only a few percentage points away from that milestone. Reduz also mentions how he committed to Godot despite having had multiple offers from commercial companies.

Looks like they updated the post and have already moved on to the next milestoneā€¦unless I misunderstood.

Yeahā€¦totally great news!!!..Platinum sponsor and Thomas Herzog ( a.k.a.karroffel ) Goā€¦Go Godot!

Onion Skinning support

A productivity feature that Blender is unlikely to have before 2.8 (I think Iā€™ve read before that a major blocker for such a feature has been the ancient drawing code).

So Godot is now seeing ever larger and more expansive pull requests after just two or three years (Bullet physics for instance), I hope the BF is taking notes.