Godot 4.2 released; A brand new era of FOSS game creation software

CSG support has been added (if you were wondering where Reduz was off to).

The neat thing is that all of this is in realtime and can be animated (so it could lead to some interesting effects and mechanics in games).

It supports the general boolean operations with various shape types. It also has a nifty feature to loft meshes using the path node. Thirdly, custom mesh objects can be used (but keep in mind that high-poly objects can be slow).

1 Like

Real, actual 2D sprite deformation using bones has now been implemented,

As mentioned, this isnā€™t cutout animation, but you deform with an actual skeleton, using a 2D weight-painted polygon to map the sprite to.

I think this might be something that many of the other engines donā€™t even have (or at least only have via a plugin you pay for). Some exciting stuff for those here doing 2D games (which I know thereā€™s a few people who are).

1 Like

The GLES2 renderer is now in a stable state, sky rendering has been added and reflections are being worked on.

Coming this month is PBR for people who need GLES2 support. Thereā€™s some work being done on the GDNative implementation as well.

Hopefully (my speculation), this means Godot 3.1 beta coming sometime by Summer (barring any unforeseen difficulties in the remaining development).

2 Likes

Ragdoll support (coming to 3.1)

You can thank Godotā€™s physics developer for this, the feature supports both full and partial ragdolls (so you can have physical simulation for walking characters and other animated objects that use logic). This should also be useful for things like ropes.

Personally, I remember trying for years to convince BGE developers to implement such a thing, it had the same result as the request to see custom GLSL shaders in the viewport without the game playing (nothing). This new feature highlights a major advantage of using a truly community driven game engine (along with Godotā€™s robust architecture).

4 Likes

Inspecter Rewrite

Say hello to Godotā€™s brand new and heavily improved Inspector

In the link is a brief history of the inspector and what why the new one will be seen as superior, more powerful, and less confusing.

2 Likes

I usually donā€™t post anything from the Godot Github page due to the chance it may not be relevant later, but Reduz has now announced that he anticipates a Godot 3.1 official alpha build this Summer (based on how the development targets are progressing).

In short, Godot 3.1 alpha may roll out July 1st and the release in August or September.

1 Like

And from the looks of it without the ShaderGraph. Again. :disappointed_relieved:

From the target list).

----New animation editor, animation tree editor and visual shader editor (me)----

So yes, the VSE is going to return, I can see Reduz getting all this done as he can push a lot of code in a short period of time (and not to mention the infrastructure already in place for node editing).

Welp, at least vnen seems to agree that it should be still possible. I was worried the alpha release would freeze the major feature-set, but now that I think about it that is beta release territory.

Important Notice for Android developers.

For now, this means Godot 3 users will have to dive into the source code to fix their APK exports until an improved exporter comes around for version 3.0.3. It may be a frustrating thing to deal with, but Google is known to change terms of use for their platforms without notice and then giving users strikes or bans without any kind of grace period (to allow them to get back into compliance).

iOS developers meanwhile are unaffected (so no changes there).

1 Like

The animation editor has been rewritten

Improvements include many UI changes, new track types, editing of bezier curves, and numerous track and track organization features. Some features have been cut though in the effort to get it ready for 3.1, but a few might come in still. Like usual, bugs will be expected (so report, report, report).

1 Like

The GLES2 renderer is getting to a usable state now.

Still a number of things missing (and definitely now in master yet), but the progress is now going at a better rate than a few months back. Version 3.1 will not be released until it is committed.

Blender devs might be interested in the hash approach (Robin Hood) covered in that article, amongst other points.

Godot 3.0.3 maintenance release

Many bugs have been fixed (see the full changelog for details). Some of the main fixes and features added deal with making C# projects (which can now be exported).

Leap motion support

This is a major advance in the ability for Godot to make games that make full use of a userā€™s hands in a virtual reality world. When the sensor is plugged in, the AR/VR node should detect the sensor automatically.

1 Like

Animation Trees, State Machines, and Blend Spaces oh my.

In short, the animation tree saw a complete rewrite and the old one will be removed shortly (with new features that actually work). Godot also now has 1D and 2D blend spaces for mixing various actions and a fully functional state machine for sequences of actions. In addition, this comes with the obligatory ability to control everything with GDscript.

3 Likes

Okay. Now things are starting to get interesting.

thats great news trying to do it with gd script still melts my brainā€¦ hopefully it works out well.

Meet the brand new official third-person demo (still a WIP).

This will be available to download for free when Godot 3.1 is released (which will be within a few months). It looks amazing to be honest and has a feeling similar to the big commercial engines. The robot is definitely not the little blue guy from the old Platformer example.

3 Likes

Itā€™s just okay imo. Needs a lot more polish if they want to really showcase what the engine can do.

2 Likes