Godot 4.2 released; A brand new era of FOSS game creation software

:frowning: i used to godot for my android game ā€¦ it started to lag :frowning: ā€¦ with unity everything is smoothā€¦i wish i could optimize godot myself for android

you can - by opening a bug report at their github - sharing the code and asking for feedback.

Just by stating an impression you are not helping godot or yourself use it

Link to the changelog is in the initial post.

Among the new things are an asset sharing system, custom hotkeys, themes, Drag & Drop (for re-arranging nodes and other functions), dynamic fonts, improved inspection/profiling features, automatic script reloading, translation support in the UI, and a myriad of other notable improvements.

Now some good news for those waiting for more features, version 2.2 will be coming with visual scripting support and support for C# (via Mono). Version 3 meanwhile will have the rewritten 3D engine (which they are aiming to make more intuitive and easy to use than the editors in Unreal 4 and Unity).

Well done, great work by all developers and contributors, Iā€™m looking forward to version 2.2 with visual scripting
ā€¦but of course Iā€™m learning to write in the GDscript and I love him:)

Want to add another language to Godot, now is your chance.

The article also emphasizes that GDscript is not going anywhere and will always be front and center in terms of engine development (with visual scripting also being more of an extra tool than a full blown replacement for programming). In a way, Mono will simply be an extra option for those used to C# (now that the licensing issues that prevented Godot from using it is resolved).

In short, they are not vehemently against adding support for other languages, but their expectation is that it would be done by other contributors rather than the core team.

The visual scripting method they try to implement is the best thing it could happen to Godot, I was not interested in this engine until I read about their new visual scripting method, now Iā€™m all in :slight_smile:

Does anybody knows where to get the binary build with the visual scripting method?

You can get daily builds here
http://www.purpleorangegames.com/godot/

Keep in mind though that itā€™s still very early in development, so the visual scripting might have a number of bugs until the developers earnestly start their push on fixing issues (which usually comes just before the beta period).

Hi Ace Dragon,

Iā€™ve been trying to download something from that website since Yesterday and I always get a corrupted download when I reach 13mb. I think thereā€™s something wrong on that website. I tried 2 computers in two different locations and the problem persists. Also I donā€™t know which file has the visual scripting included, I tried to download:

godot.windows.debug.32.exe.7z
godot.windows.debug.64.exe
godot.windows.debug.64.exe.7z

All these files fail on the 13mb mark.

Have you tried downloading one of the non-debug builds?

The one I always pick is godot.windows.opt.tools.64.exe.7z (it is the regular Godot package just like the one from the official website, but with the latest commits).

That totally works, thanks a lot Ace Dragon, youā€™re the best :wink:

As the title says, more info here.

In short, thereā€™s a bunch of new functions and features designed to really ease the workflow when making a multiplayer game that works over the internet (Godot was multiplayer capable in the past, but is was difficult to make sure everything worked).

It looks to me like Godot 2.2 is going to have something for everyone at this point, I myself may very well use the visual scripting even though I may not use the networking.

What a shame that thereā€™s very little community or resources around this engine for the moment. I would love to have a more alive website where to get the very latest information about this. Even if you see tweets from users or the forums, they are not that much active in comparison with other projects. Iā€™m still trying to get some more information about the visual scripting but not much news out there.

@SamCameron
wellā€¦ the visual scripting is highly in developement right now. It is normal that you donā€™t find that much tutorials or documentation yet.
In general I wouldnā€™t call the community that smallā€¦ It is growing actively. Give it some more time :slight_smile:

Another great thing about Godot vs. UE4 and Unity is that it loads up quick, and has a small footprint. It also works well with Blender. And for some reason, it just clicks for me the way the BGE did when I first tried it many years ago. I am too old to be thinking about landing a job in Game Dev, so my choice was easy, or I may have chosen to learn UE4. Besides, I think you can make pretty good quality games with Godot anyway.

More Godot news has been released regarding development in recent days

What this is about is that the new asset library is now to the point where users can upload and share their assets with other Godot users. This is different from the Unity Asset store as they will prioritize items that are free and open source, but they are not ruling out assets you can pay for at some point in the future.

Godotā€™s new renderer for version 3 is also progressing well and has completed its first milestone, thereā€™s still a lot of features missing and they will all come in for phases 2 and 3 (including such features as SSS so you will ultimately have a similar graphical quality to Unity 5 and Unreal 4). This is not something that can be closely tracked on Godotā€™s Github page right now so the lack of render-specific commits in the log is nothing to worry about.

I have read before that Godot version 3 is to be released in early 2017, there will also be a converter to allow continued work on version 2 projects (though you should first make a copy of your project before you do that because it will be one way).

Here are some info about the visual scripting

http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2016/08/07/Godot-Engine-Visual-Scripting-First-Look.aspx

here is another video tutorial

A new maintenance release has just come out

Unlike other game engines, the Godot developers backport more than just bugfixes. There are also dozens of small features and enhancements that come as well (providing they are deemed as safe and will not break current projects).

Among the enhancements is a new A-star API (looks to be a node-based pathfinding system according to the information in Godot itself), drag & drop improvements, and lots of little usability and functional enhancements.

Also, as there wonā€™t be a Godot 2.2 release, theyā€™re planning a second maintenance release sometime in the next month.

An example of what type of plugin you can create using nothing but GDscript (also an example of what you will find in the new asset library)

As with all of the other asset library items for the time being, you can download and use it for free.
https://godotengine.org/asset-library/asset/4