Godot 4.2 released; A brand new era of FOSS game creation software

Sweet.

Did you watch a tutorial how to import models?

If not, you should make one :slight_smile:

Hi, well the version I tried obviously it’s a alpha version or something like that with lot of things pending to be fixed, I had several difficulties trying to import the models from Blender with that version, the workaround I did was using an official 2.1 Godot release and import the models there, then open the same scene but in 3.0 and I was able to apply the new features. Not the best workflow but at least it works as a workaround until 3.0 is fully working.

New stuff includes the DLscript mentioned earlier (now known as GDnative), new GPU-powered particles, webAssembly export (you can now play Godot made games in the browser).

An alpha build is also coming out very soon, and as hinted by the particle feature pushed to 3.1, it seems the final feature-set for version 3 is close to being established.

Exciting times for the world of FOSS game development :slight_smile:

The usual assortment of small features and bugfixes mainly, some crash fixes too.

This also provides the first version of the converter to Godot 3 (so something useful when Godot 3 alpha comes around). Godot 2.x will continue to get support until version 3.1 possibly (when every device capable of running Godot gets supported).

It’s actually a simpler process than Godot 2.1 actually (I tried it myself today).

For a quick start, make a model in Blender and export it as a .dae using the Better Collada Exporter.

Now, create a folder for your new Godot 3 project and create your project there via the project manager.

Create a new folder at the place where Godot created your project, call it ‘assets’ or something, and move the Collada file there.

Open Godot, open your project, and watch how Godot auto-imports your asset. To access the new scene, double-click the .dae file from inside Godot to get a dialogue about it being imported already. Select the option to create an inherited scene and you should now have a new scene with your object. Edit and use as you would normally in Godot 2.1.

A heads up for those who want to see more professional-quality training in Godot, there is a Kickstarter going that promises to produce just that

The training revolves around 2D games though (I assume 3D training may start to become more common when version 3 becomes fully usable), but there’s enough interest in the 2D side here to make it worth posting.

New progress report:

The developers are aiming for 2 weeks to have the alpha and 2 more months to stabilize everything.

Yes, Godot is getting support for the Python language (the same one that powers the BGE). Like C#, this is being done by a volunteer developer and the main language will continue to be GDscript (ie. none of this is from Reduz).

With this, Godot is expanding the ability for developers to use the engine in a way that they’re comfortable with (three languages now with the possibility for more, providing there is someone to implement it).

I am eagerly waiting for Godot3, here’s some experiments I made in Godot 2.1:

Looks good! Kudos!

Godot 3.0 alpha1

Still waiting for the return of the visual shader nodes (which Reduz told me will happen). I need them for the purpose of advanced material effects like blending and custom coloring (ie. such as controlling where vertex colors are applied).

I hope they come back for the initial 3.0 release, otherwise I may need to wait until 3.1 to really dive in again (since so many useful features have come out that are not available in 2.1x). I know there is shader scripting, but we need to wait until there’s documentation on writing them for Godot).

This looks really great! I especially love the PBR shaders, SSS and Vowel Cone Tracing! This all looks very enticing!

I used godot for a while…it is a competent and lightweight tool…like unity, but less baggage. I actually find it better to unity in many ways…but the right tool for the right job :slight_smile:

I am watching godot 3.0 closely…alpha is out now…but I really love the workflow of doing everything in one package(blender)…if the future of BGE/UPBGE is not laid out soon…I will need to go to godot(after my current project that is).

Introducing glTF 2.0

glTF 2.0 was introduced two months ago by Khronos, the body behind Vulkan and OpenGL.
Today, this format was added to Godot, which now supports the full specification. The reasoning behind this late feature addition is that, now that we released 3.0 alpha1, users need more content to test with the new 3D engine.
Sites like Sketchfab provide plenty of PBR-ready assets for downloading, and plugins that export scenes from other popular game engines to this format.

Support glTF!

For glTF to succeed, it needs strong developer adoption. Ask your favorite 3D modelling software or engine developer to support it!
Currently, the Blender exporter is in the works and not complete, and there is no support at all for Autodesk products (export plug-ins need to be written).
This is the best chance we’ll ever have in a long time for a proper, open standard. Let’s work together to make it happen!

Good read on glTF, looks like it’s becoming the format that Collada wished it could be (fully open, yet powerful, fast, and packed with modern features).

The BF should take note of this and shift their I/O priority to this format rather than Collada (even Ton made a call on Twitter once to support it).

The Godot Engine creators just opened a Patreon account, please if you are interested on this engine or just to help another open source project support this project at:

https://www.patreon.com/godotengine/

I already did, how about you? :slight_smile:

There is a number of sweet awards and early access stuff in it too.
Check out the new features video:

If we get the funding up to 3000 , Juan will be able to work full time on Godot. If he added all that cool stuff while being part time,you can only imagine the possibilities :smiley:

A nice big basket of smaller features and bugfixes are present, making Godot even more usable as we wait for version 3.

It’s also likely that there will be a Godot 2.1.5 yet (since maintenance will not end until Godot 3.1 is released).

The Godot team wants you to help document Godot 3.0

Right now, there’s so many changes and so little documentation at the moment. They want to make sure that version 3 will have a full set of docs. so people can focus more on actually making games. They are hoping this sprint will serve as a big step to make that happen.