Godot 4.2 released; A brand new era of FOSS game creation software

This looks interesting…never tried Gogot but i will now.
I hope the Dev sticks with this terrain editing plugin and surpasses the other’s.

Godot is starting to see some interesting ecosystem development in the form of new plugins.

Procedural node-based mesh builder.

Mesh painter.

Considering that plugins is one of Godot’s main weakpoints compared to Unity, this is quite good to see :sunny:

Thanks,
I did not know the procedural stuff.

The bump to 3.1 alpha reached the official site.
And hours of testing are coming :slight_smile:

the only thing that bothers me is the addon handling, because it must be loaded for each current project,
instead of being enabled for all projects.
Except if I missed a thing.
But i understood that it may be improved.

The inspector rework is a real improvement in navigation.

I’m still in the platforms tutorials, but I really have a lot of fun.
I didn’t try real game programming from the very old age of Amos (game programming language for amiga),
just keeping up with blender addon scripting. the python likeness is very cool .
And the paradigms of godot are just awesome, making gain time exponentially as you know how to reuse nodes.

Godot is getting cooler and cooler.

Godot 3.1 Alpha is released!

Impressive list of new features, and I am particularly interested in the new animation editor and skeletal mesh deformation for 2d meshes. And the option to publish to OpenGL 2 is back, which returns support for older Intel chipsets.

Major additions are:

• OpenGL ES 2.0 renderer.
  • Visual shader editor.
  • New PBR output nodes.
  • Conversion between Vector3 and scalar types is now automatic.
  • Ability to create custom nodes via scripting.
  • Ports can now be previewed.
  • 3D soft body physics.
  • 3D ragdoll system.
  • Constructive solid geometry in 3D.
  • 2D meshes and skeletal deformation.
  • Various improvements to KinematicBody2D.
  • Support for snapping the body to the floor.
  • Support for RayCast shapes in kinematic bodies.
  • Support for synchronizing kinematic movement to physics, avoiding an one-frame delay.
  • WebSockets support using libwebsockets.
  • Revamped inspector.
  • Improved visualization and editing of numeric properties.
  • Vector and matrix types can now be edited directly (no pop-ups).
  • Subresources can now be edited directly within the same inspector.
  • Layer names can now be displayed in the inspector.
  • Proper editing of arrays and dictionaries.
  • Improved animation editor.
  • Simpler, less cluttered layout.
  • New Bezier, Audio and Animation tracks.
  • Several key types can be previewed directly in the track editor.
  • Tracks can now be grouped and filtered on a per-node basis.
  • Copying and pasting tracks between animations is now possible.
  • New Capture mode to blend from a node’s current value to the first key in a track.
  • Improved animation tree and new state machine.
  • More visual feedback in the blend tree editor.
  • 1D and 2D blend spaces are now supported.
  • Ability to write custom blending logic.
  • Support for root motion.
  • Optional static typing in GDScript.
1 Like

Simplex noise generation

Simplex noise in Godot can now be created in two ways, one being a simplex noise texture type and the other through a set of noise functions in GDscript. Since this is built into Godot, there is no longer a need for it to be done via a third-party plugin.

Uses mentioned include 2D and 3D level generation, water shading, and dissolve effects.

Nice to see Godot is improving little by little.

3.1’s new filesystem dock

The new features include favorites support for files, a full set of icons, fulll Drag & Drop, and more.

In addition, there’s been a sizable boost to Godot’s funding with a new gold sponsor.

2 Likes

GodotCon is coming up within a week.

Hear from contributors (which includes many of the main ones), learn about the process of making games, learn about how to also become a developer. GodotCon in a nutshell is like the project’s equivalent of the Blender Conference.

In development news lately, tons of bugs and other issues from Godot 3.1 alpha 1 have been crushed and alpha 2 should be live perhaps later this month.

The big third-person shooter demo is now available for everyone

This will require a build of Godot 3.1 to run and it should run nicely on most hardware from the midrange on up. If there are any bugs related to running the project, then please make a note of it in its issue tracker.

2 Likes

Thank you. I will look at this template. :slight_smile:

A 9 day game jam for Godot users; Go Wild

In a way, this will also help with getting version 3.1 polished up, as they encourage participants to stress-test the new version while creating. This is coinciding with Godot Con which is currently ongoing.

1 Like

The results of the 9 day game jam (from the main website).

Over 30 games with over 100 devs. total. The vast majority of the entries were 2D, but a few 3D games found their way in there as well.

2 Likes

It’s been a while, but Godot 3 Alpha 2 has been released with many smaller features and a boatload of bugfixes.

With this, Godot 3.1 enters feature freeze (which means bugfixes only until the release).

Enjoy, and be sure to report any bugs you find.

3 Likes

The Godot learning organization known as GDquest is starting a new effort to provide open source demos to learn from.

Included in the initial batch is a Zelda-like RPG and a game with turn-based fighting. As Godot is still lacking in the learning department, this will be a great gift to the community.

3 Likes

So true! Hope there will be more such resources and tutorials for Godot. It’s great engine in my opinion! Thank you.

Normal maps now work properly with Godot’s built-in primitives as well as its CSG shapes.

In other news, tons of notable bugs are being fixed with a number of them related to graphics. The daily builds you can find on Calinou’s site for instance should be far more usable than Alpha 2 official.

2 Likes

The newest push to increase Patreon funding

In short, they explain where the money is going and what they do with it, and they explain the want for a new developer and why they need him. They also talk about how aside from a new Vulkan renderer, the focus going forward will be less on major new features and more on polish, smaller features, enhancements to existing features, quality-of-life improvements, and a general bug-free experience where everything works as expected.

4 Likes

Congrats and enjoy @reduzio.

As it turns out, their openness with and inclusion of patrons in the “this money funds that feature/developer” approach has borne out some benefits. Almost, dare I say, like open communication about development/funding priorities with the community that funds/supports you isn’t as bad as some people claim when it’s suggested for other unnamed FOSS projects. :wink:

Snark aside, I’m glad they can hire a new developer and I’m impressed at the level of openness they have in regards to donated monies and how it’s spent. It’s very easy to siphon off charitable donations when the financials are kept opaque/secret. The level of trust one gets being open about the costs and where donations go really does reflect well on the developer’s trust of the community and, as Godot is demonstrating, is effective in motivating donations when people see the specific needs for it.

2 Likes

Godot 3.1 Alpha 3

Since Alpha 2, 100’s of bugfixes and a bunch of smaller features and usability improvements.

They are currently hoping 3.1 will hit beta before Christmas.