Godot 3.5 and Godot 4.0 alpha 13 (Open-Source 2D/3D game engine)

Feature freeze in a few days

Godot Engine - Godot 4.0 development enters feature freeze ahead of the first beta

With Alpha 13 now out, the long-awaited shift from accruing features to bugfixing and stability will start next week. They still don’t recommend using version 4 for production work until the RC stage, but it is stable enough now to experiment with. The betas will begin before the start of Fall.

3 Likes

Godot 3.5

Godot Engine - Godot 3.5: Can’t stop won’t stop

There are a lot of new features awaiting related to graphics, navigation, text rendering, and more. There have also been a number of major improvements that have been done such as work to eliminate shader-related stuttering as much as possible. The developers have put a lot of effort to port as many production-ready Godot 4 features as possible, save for ones like SDFGI which can only be done in Vulkan.

2 Likes

Citing the recent news, I have decided to redo my old game project from the ground up in Godot 3.5 instead of Godot 4 now (as the backporting team has shown itself to be so impressive that much of version 4 may already have been ported by the time it becomes stable enough to release).

Ever since they got the build system for 3.x releases going, the release logs have only gotten bigger in spite of the version 4 work.

2 Likes

Godot is now getting its own version of the Blender Institute (a commercial entity called W4 Games).

Before anyone assumes the worst, let me tell you that there is no way you can have hundreds of contributors write patches for years (on a regular basis) only to have the rug pulled out (as the devs. would never hear the end of it). This for starters will allow a better way for developers to publish to consoles (not their fault the rules are as unfriendly to FOSS as they are).

As I mentioned, I highly doubt any monetization will go beyond what is already seen for Blender (ie. a few proprietary plugins optimized for large teams ect…), as otherwise it would almost guarantee the creation of a Godot fork.

Also watch the whole video, the Gamesfromscratch guy made a joke that sounds pretty frightening if you do not get the context.

One final thing, there is also another reason why one should not be concerned about existing features going behind a paywall, and that is because it would be incredibly unethical to do that to code that many contributors have applied changes, fixes, and additions to (which includes even Godot 4’s Vulkan renderer). If that ever happened the new business would be immediately crushed by lawsuits.

3 Likes

The main reason behind the creation of a commercial entity is pragmatic: developing and publishing a game on consoles requires you to sign an NDA. This is incompatible with the opensource model of Godot. Thus the need of creating a commercial entity that can take care of this part, offering an official way of preparing and publishing a game on consoles using Godot without violating that NDA. And that is what will be monetized: developer and enterprise support for Godot.
I don’t think it is their intention to develop other proprietary stuff on top of Godot, as even their announcement says that they will focus on what Godot cannot legally offer (console support).

2 Likes

the first joke he made was just delivered so perfectly :slight_smile: Loved it.

Not sure if this was already posted here ( I found it out a few weeks ago ) but Godot 4 has Blender support.

Godot 4 Gets Blender Support! | Lets Look At Godot 4.0 - YouTube

Isn’t it just smooth integration of glTF exporter/importer wrapper for .blend like Unity does it with .blend via fbx?
But thats nice anyway.

Anyway, its interesting decision to remove fbx support in favor of glTF converter.