Godot 4.2 released; A brand new era of FOSS game creation software

110 commits later, Beta 11 is out

The Godot devs. are hoping this is the last beta needed before 3.1 can go to the RC phase. They thought Beta 10 would be the last one, but fixes introduced enough changes that another one was needed. They really want to get 3.1 out the door, but they want to make sure there’s no serious regressions.

1 Like

Godot 3.1 RC1

The official release is only days away, one last build is being done so this is your last chance to report major bugs. After nearly a year in the making and after a couple of months of pull requests piling up, I think both users and devs. will be delighted to finally move on.

Godot 3.1 RC3

The third in the rapid-fire RC releases. the Godot devs. are pretty sure this will the last build needed before 3.1 can finally be released.

Only critical bugs will be fixed at this point, the wait is almost over.

Mh … trying it …
get Action axis stremgth works :}

Just a quick heads-up that the godotdevelopers.org domain has expired and the plan is to get a godotengine.org subdomain for the forum instead so for the moment the temporary domain to reach the forum is:

https://godotdevelopers.browse-tutorials.com/forum/

Any help spreading the news about the temporary URL would be much appreciated.

1 Like

And I just made a reddit account for their Godot section in case I needed to go over there now :laughing:

I hope they can eventually get the forum software updated as well as securing a funding source (like Patreon or * gasp * a few ads on the page).

Edit; it’s coming…

The thread’s title and first post will be updated soon.

And 3.1 is finally out.

After a year of work, 3.1 is officially released. There are a couple of outstanding bugs yet, but to wait for those to get fixed would delay the release for a couple of weeks because of GDC. Better to get 3.1 out now to remove the feature-freeze state and to start bringing in user contributions that have been waiting for months.

2 Likes

Yes, we will likely be working on that next.

2 Likes

I knew you were a long-time Blender-user, now you’re apparently one of the guys behind godotdevelopers :slight_smile:

Thanks then for helping make Godot’s community asset stronger.

I had a working but extremely messy implementation of naive surface nets, with texture mapping, for an older version of this engine.

My favorite indie engines are in fact Urho3D and Godot, both are surprisingly flexible…

Godot is seeing its annual lull in development due to GDC, but it looks like they officially have Pedro J. Estébanez (RandomShaper) on the payroll (because of noticing his commit access).

I’m sure there will be news items on major new features once they get into a decently good state. These commits are also a good indication that those who use daily builds will start to have a less stable experience as larger changes start coming in.

Godot GDC 2019 report.

In short, Godot’s position continues to improve, with many companies now interested in trying out Godot and dumping their current engine. In addition, the number of titles continue to increase and the userbase continues to grow at an accelerating pace.

The engine’s future looks bright so far, especially when considering they got another jump in Patreon donations this week.

1 Like

There should be more of that.
The moment it ends up like the pile of Assets ready to go for Blender then, I’ll be interested.
There are artists that have insanely awesome gaming ideas but, suck at scripting.
As much as programmers that are insane at programming and suck at game design.
Until the two worlds blend there is limitless potential wasted.

2 Likes

VR and AR, an update.

This includes new VR plugins for Oculus and OpenVR that can be downloaded right now from the site’s asset gallery. There’s also other products being developed that will connect Godot to other platforms.

Godot goes corporate

Now you can obtain shares of Godot and attend shareholder meetings to determine the engine’s future

Oh, and please read the date of the article before commenting :blush:

1 Like

On serious news; Godot’s new Pseudo-3D canvas layer system (3.2 dev).

This will allow a game developer to create a game like those 2D platformers with depth (without needing the 3D engine and the additional complexity it brings). This will be useful for developers who like the simplicity of making 2D games, but want that type of visual.

I usually don’t post individual commits, but this massive pull request containing tons of improvements for Visual Shader Editing got merged into 3.2 master today.

Read through the whole thread to see all of the enhancements, it’s a long list and should get close to outright eliminating any need to use the code-based API.

Editor Profiles

How is this different from project and editor settings? The difference is that this allows people like educators, company supervisors, and indies to outright disable features to turn the editor into something more simple.

Making a strict 2D game for example, you can completely disable the 3D module and not have to deal with things such as the 3D nodes in the add node menu. Educators, as mentioned, will also benefit because they can create a more simple editor for kids starting their way into game development (not to mention turn on more features as they get more advanced).

There’s also short-term planning in the article, Reduz will spend the rest of April implementing small, but often requested features before he starts the Vulkan project in May.

1 Like

New audio features.

Another often-requested feature that is yet low-hanging fruit. This means new functions that can generate sound and sample from a spectrum.

One thing that didn’t make it in though is a BPM detector, Reduz wanted to integrate third-party code that does this, but the solution he found was under the GPL (which can’t go in MIT licensed code).

I’m actually really excited about the spectrum analyzer coming in 3.2. I’ve been trying to do an audio visualizer and with Godot currently it’s not possible to get the right information from an audio stream.