Godot 4.2 released; A brand new era of FOSS game creation software

For those who doesn’t know it yet… NEW Godot developers Forum came to Life!:yes:… similar to the Blenderartist Forum.
…yeah,new sweet home:)
http://forum.godotdevelopers.org/index.php

Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

Reduz’s early April Fools article

I least it sounds like April Fools, the content sounds way too absurd to be serious (keep a diligent watch for random joke posts when surfing the web tomorrow).

THANK GOD! At last, a true forum instead of that disjointed mess of threads that was the last “forum”!

The new community forum has been recognized on the Godot website

On top of that, Godot’s first big showcase video is out (most of the games here are 2D, but there’s a nice looking 3D game as well).

For those that don’t know yet, I too have started a 3D game in Godot with several levels already, but I’ve been in the midst of several Cycles art projects so not much time at most.

A new maintenance release with bugfixes and a decent number of usability improvements/small features is now out

For now, Godot is seeing small, incremental steps to the larger 2.1 release that is on the horizon (also considering that Reduz is currently in Japan and won’t be back on serious development for a few weeks yet). However, that is definitely not stopping the community from delivering a continuous stream of patches as enthusiasm for the project grows (perhaps because they all want to see Godot become ‘the’ open source solution for game development).

What in the world… The variety of games look very nice, but I was flabbergasted by the audio editing, how everything transitioned seamlessly from one game to another… Then realized somebody actually composed it just for this trailer. Impressive all around.

Godot engine can now use creature 2d animations:

implemented runtime by kestrel moon.

Its a few steps ahead of coa tools - as it can do deforming 2d mesh bones

Godot wants you to complete it’s documentation for GDscript.

The article states that the developers want every function documented by version 2.1, in addition, it states how it’s designed to be a relatively easy process as far as doc generation goes (inside of Godot itself at least).

There’s still 1 in 3 functions with no descriptions pertaining to it, and looking at the pull request tracker on Github, people are already stepping up.

Well, we can expect more development magic now that Reduz is back in the developer’s chair (since he’s home from Japan and since the new Okam Studio game is released).

A lot of user patches have been committed during that time, but expect things to pick up a bit.

Another maintenance release with numerous bugfixes and enhancements

Now as mentioned, there’s also a few small features added, but the dev. team will only include those they deem as safe to include (ie. little to no chance of causing stability problems and other bugs).

Reduz is adding drang and drop support to the editor. Also some improvements on the sprite import department:
[ Godot 2.1 DevLog ] AnimatedSprite + SpriteFrames is getting a makeover, with support for multiple animation sets and automatic playback!
It’s simpler for beginners (no AnimationPlayer needed), and more flexible for advanced users (many sets instead of long frame list)
Source: Juan Linietsky’s Twitter (https://twitter.com/reduzio/status/731320638397370368)

the community is making scripts to make import of tilesets easier:

Hi there, i did an script to automatically generate a tileset scene (to export to tileset resource) and i’d like to share it.
I know, this is not the editor i started and everyone wanted to try out, but hey, you can use it right now!

The editor is getting a make over - now the node tree supports right click menus - reduz is adding contextual menus:

And drag and drop support:

The Godot website’s new showcase page.

Right now it more or less gives an overview of notable projects with links to either the game’s website or a video of the game (they don’t have their own pages on the site itself). Still, some good looking games in both the 2D and 3D genres.

I just noticed that Godot Engine is on steam. Great move IMO.

This is likely the last maintenance release for Godot 2.0 (Godot 2.1 will be out in a matter of weeks). A nice basket of bugfixes await developers alongside some smaller enhancements.

Also, you notice a fourth number on the version now, that is because the original 2.0.4 has a regression which was quickly resolved (so a new build was published).

Will drag n drop work in 2.1?

Yes it will.

Is released

Among the changes are a rather sizable suite of usability improvements and other enhancements.

• Context menus
  • Node Drag&Drop (for rearranging, parenting, ect…)
  • Dynamic fonts
  • International language support
  • Profiling enhancements
  • Scripting enhancements
  • Better scene import system
  • Customization features
  • Misc. enhancements
  • ect…

Go get it :slight_smile:

The beta looks so clean. I could see Blender use that kind of fonts for its UI.

https://godotengine.org/article/godot-21-rc1-out

The official 2.1 release is just around the corner, this is your last chance to report nuisance bugs (if you want to see them fixed for the initial release).