Godot 4.2 released; A brand new era of FOSS game creation software

regretting more and more investing in Unity when I see so much wonderful news about Godot.

Godotengine gains the first batch of goodies for the new modern renderer based on gles3. Insane what has been developed within a month.
Check out all changes in this devblog post

And here is one of many screens of that post

I am quite excited about the realtime SSS shader.
I wish blender had that too. Cycles takes ages to render something half as decent that is not noisy as hell

Everything looks pretty slick as usual. I do like the notion of the ā€œGodot wayā€ which is basically take existing concepts and do it better (we already see this with things such as scene instancing vs. prefabs).

They might even surpass Unity at this rate (in terms of concept execution at least), other areas will be almost impossible due to how entrenched they are as the industry leader. Though Godot already appears better in the department of not breaking games with new releases according to feedback from both camps.

@Ace Dragon
Yes, this is really what I love about godot. The godot way. Not just do things because everyone does it, but see what makes sense and what can be improved or solved more efficiently. To have a good ratio between accuracy and performance.

I love that ā€œGodot wayā€ as well, Iā€™m an artist not a programmer and this is the first time I feel comfort to start typing some lines of code, so far has been a great experience, very easy to learn the programming language of Godot and even more easy once the visual scripting kicks in for new comers. Hereā€™s my progress on the programming side on my end:

Iā€™m really happy how Godot is trying to make things easier and more accessible than many other engines out there.

I just tried to port my game to android, works like a charm:

Looks promising so far.

GI with full support of reflections, emission objects, high quality DOF, and much better bloom/tonemapping effects

By now, Godot is getting to the point where it can start to challenge Unreal 4 and the Cryengine, but without the need for a beefy GPU. Hopefully, some of these techniques can also be something the Blender 2.8 viewport team would like to borrow (since it will offer awesome visuals while being light on hardware).

Iā€™m serious about the idea of the viewport team taking notes from what Reduz is doing (because it looks to be one the smartest approaches you will find anywhere).

The work on the new renderer is proceeding so quickly, and the results are looking very impressive already. I use Unity at work and at home, and itā€™s a great tool, but there is definitely something attractive about Godot (maybe that itā€™s got such a burgeoning and vibrant community and it free and open source) that is very attractive to me. Iā€™m looking forward to seeing how 3.0 turns out - the blog says the renderer should be more or less complete by the end of January, so assuming this is the main feature of Godot 3.0, we should see a release in the next few months, right?

According to the roadmap, this is more or less the centerpiece of version 3 (though other parts of the 3D mode such as the physics are supposedly due for a rework as well). Also, the reason why the progress can go so quickly as we are seeing is because Reduz is being paid by Mozilla to do this (part of a grant thatā€™s intended to bring support for web platforms to Godot).

This being on top of other features like the Visual Scripting.

Godot is officially in the alpha phase of version 3, and that means the master branch will be very unstable for a while.

The article warns to not start new projects until the devs. give the all-clear and to not try to port existing projects over until the converter tool is released (if you end up breaking a project, you were warned).

Impressive works on 3d sides I see you are doing, I downloaded Godot 3d before and since its 3d rendering was not good then I didnā€™t use it, however with version 3.x I certainly looking into it and explore it.
As a suggestion, It would be nice that see more platforms support come to Godot, like PS4, X1 and VR, and start kickstarter for these areas would be nice.

Is it possible for blender to use that code for fake SSS?

godot is developed under MIT. So its absolutely possible to use any code from godot and relicense it.

So can we make it an suggestion to the blender devs? Like to make it into the 2.8 release?

itĀ“s a fair assumption that the viewport rewrite will address this kind of functionality. The goal is to be on par with UE eventually, IIRC.

That is great. Itā€™s nice to have a real preview how it will look in the godot engine or any engine for that matter.

Itā€™s a shame they went with their own scripting language. Unreal has just gone to c++ now and Unity lets you use c#, javascript or boo. PBR planned not implemented yet, : /

Might still try it though

Youā€™re wrong, Godot uses its own language but you can still use C++ and they are planning to integrate C# and visual scripting on the next release. Also I tried Godotā€™s scripting language and itā€™s fantastic, even for someone like me that Iā€™m not a programmer I feel very comfort with this scripting language and I found a great way to begin programming.