Godot engine developers now on Patreon (call for support)

Feature-wise, it’s on the low side compared to the established players, but the net amount of features is seeing rapid growth.

Lots of patches from many contributors now (especially with Godot 3 being more apt. for user contributions now that it’s taking shape). The only downer for me personally is that the visual shader editor for the new graphics engine was pushed to version 3.1 (so I might wait to jump back in until then). Godot may also possibly have Bullet physics by then (and other features that missed the cut) so that will be a bonus.

if all you care about is rendering then, yeah, Godot it adequate or will be. I care about bones, physics/dynamics, material editing, a decent particle system, documentation, terrain editing, speed tree or something similar, animation. Comprehensive performance stats tools. There are a lot of things that go into a game engine other than graphics. Nice graphics are plus in some cases a must but I want something that will be powerful enough to do what I need it to do without having to build it myself. Dealing with animation is my biggest concern. I’m sure these will get addressed over time but at the moment a lot of that stuff is none-existent in the engine right now.

Isn’t that why we have Blender? Then import stuff into godot. At least Godot wants to be a part of Blender and will adapt to anything open Blender has. Like improved collada exporter. Unlike the better game engines that mostly favours payed applications and fbx.

And Godot is getting a lot of things other than graphics. Some of it from Reduz, but much of it from a growing pool of contributors sending patches (I did mention that someone is working to replace the custom physics engine with Bullet).

I would also note that Unity and Unreal devs. spend a lot of time on graphics as well, so it’s not just in the Godot camp, and the main reason for its emphasis now is because their old render engine had various issues that required its rewriting.

That wasn’t what I was saying. Yes the game engine developers should focus on graphics as well, especially if you are a 3D engine developer. i think that’a given but the tools are just as important. As for what Godot is working on. I don’t buy/download/use software on what it can do for me tomorrow. I use it for what it can do for me today. The person asked where Godot was weak. I answered. As of today Godot does not have the tools necessary (for me) built at the moment. Will it have it in the future, probably but as of right now Unity, and Unreal is the better choice if you want a complete game engine without a lot of compromises on tools and functionality.

Anyway my comment about graphics wasn’t aimed at the devs of the engine but at the user. If all you care about is graphics when you choose an engine, I think you are in for a bad time. The commenter said they didn’t see where Godot was weaker feature wise than Unity, Unreal and then proceeded to spout off graphical features as if that is the whole of a game engine. Graphics are an important part of the equation for sure, but since a lot for the techniques used are well documented it shouldn’t be a surprise to see a fairly modern engine have a decent rendering engine. It would be more surprising if that weren’t the case. That leaves the rest of the engine to differentiate it from the pack. The tools.

Case in point. The Mass Effect Andromeda team was forced to use EA’s Frostbite engine. That engine can produce gorgeous graphics but the whole toolset wasn’t tailored to or made to make RPG games. The pipeline tools from asset to game engine were supposedly not great and the proof is in the pudding as they say.

Anyway I don’t want to further derail this thread. Godot is a great engine and we should show support.

Juan is on the verge of being able to work on Godot full time

Getting him on Godot full time was one of the initial goals, and what they thought would take months to reach is very close to realization after just a couple of weeks. As a result, they are making the rewards more generous for the lower tiers (and as you can see there are a lot of them).

godot is just as capable as UE4 on the code side, it is the limits users who are the issue. Most UE games that are AAA titles are not just rampantly using physics…they are carefully used, like in any game…
I am no longer using godot…and tbh I only used it for about 2 months before I moved to BGE…and BGE is also not the slouch that people think it is…again…the user is the limitation…generally…now I understand the rendering performance IS better in UE4, but with careful planning you can make a game look ‘comparable’ to that level in either godot, unity or yes, BGE…I know I am going to get an eyeful of hate text now :slight_smile:

I am glad to hear their funding is going well though...it's a good team with a good engine...now if they could just create some good tutorials(free 100%) and fix their bleak documentation for 3.0 they could grow their community...without good docs and tutorials it is the same as telling users 'You are not welcome here!'

The fact that you can achieve the same result in every engine is pretty much worth nothing in practice.
There are certain things, that can easily be achieve in one engine that are very difficult to almost impossible in others. From a practical point of view, that is tremendously important.
If you e.g. want to create a physics heavy 2D game, you can extend pretty much every engine to do that. But picking an engine that can already do that simply makes more sense if the goal is to actually create the game. Or if the goal is to create a mobile game, it would be stupid to pick an engine that does not support that, even if you could port the engine.

It took the BF more than 10 years to really get the documentation in order (ie. having regular contributions), hopefully it won’t take that long for the Godot docs. to really develop in comparison. :spin:

Of course I, or most users here, didn’t feel unwelcome 10 years ago (but not having to search the forum really helps).

Whoa, whoa there dude! You know nothing about me. Don’t make this personal. I wasn’t spouting off graphics features as if they were the only thing important. You took that completely the wrong way. I was in fact, sincerely asking because most of the information I can find about the engine are all about the graphics. As a casual glacer, it “Looks” like a great engine. I wasn’t trying to defend it or discredit you in any way. I honestly don’t know anything about the engine other than was you can easily find on the site. I was hoping you would help me out and give me your insight because you seemed to know about it.

You’ve answered my question for the most part above so lets just end it here.

Who made it personal? I made a comment on your comment. It wasn’t a personal attack or I didn’t mean it to be.