Good looking skin?

So what’s the best way to make photo realistic looking skin on a person for hires prints, maybe poster size?
Many tutorials tell that procedural textures can’t look very realistic so is it the right way to use a jpg image and make textures + shading on that? I don’t quite understand this texture thing. Can you use many textures on one image at the same time?
The jpg image has to be quite big to get print quality, right? How about hdr images if I render using Yafray, would that make it better?

Search for UV-mapping. That’s what you want to learn.

I’d avoid lossy compression (JPG) for something close-up… PNG or TIF or TGA or something lossless would probably be better…

Each material in a model can have around 10 textures applied, and each model can have (I think) up to 16 different materials applied.

Hope this helps.

All the downloadable skin images I found are jpg or gif images so they are compressed.
So when a model has many meshes, it all together can have 16 different materials.
If a material has 10 textures, are they on top of each other so they mix together or do you use one at a time?
All the uv-mapping tutorials only show how to map one image to a mesh. I was trying to uv-map 2 different images on a mesh, both in their own places with no success. When I selected a new image, the old one was gone.

So when a model has many meshes, it all together can have 16 different materials

A single mesh can have 16 materials:

http://download.blender.org/documentation/htmlI/ch10s07.html

If a material has 10 textures, are they on top of each other so they mix together or do you use one at a time?

It depends on how you Mix them. See Fig 119:

http://download.blender.org/documentation/htmlI/ch11.html#id4855591

All the uv-mapping tutorials only show how to map one image to a mesh. I was trying to uv-map 2 different images on a mesh, both in their own places with no success. When I selected a new image, the old one was gone.

You can combime 2 or more images in a paint prog. before mapping them. Or you can assign more than 1 Vertex Group and map each image to a seperate Group.

%<