Good NURBS book...?

I think I’m going to model a BMW 435i or BMW M4 concept using the Duron method. I suppose the more time you put in to a car the better the result, and if you get the base mesh perfect before cutting details it’ll make everything a lot easier.

I’m afraid that’s simply not true. Blender offers a lot of user interaction conventions that I find pleasant, but in terms of time-saving, powerful features for sub-d modeling, Max and Modo have the upper hand, both in different ways.

What is it that you think Blender really lacks?
I know Max not that much, however know Modo very well and I cannot really see the difference being that stark.
Modo has no interactive modifiers I find quite useful as they semi simulate NURBS trimming jobs.
Max comes with a great SDS NURBS tool set if you also want to pay so much for it.
But when it comes to car models I am more than confident that Blender has all the tools you need to be productive.

Alias is specialized on car design but you can still make the same quality models in Rhino as well.

But the 60$ is worth it as the mesh is perfect in his model and this is the only poly car I as a designer would say is good.

I have that tutorial, and I was surprised at the fact he used ngons and tris quite a lot too. I got the impression off a few people that if one models a car with ngons and tri’s, they may as well jump off the edge of a building and die…

tries and ngons are a funny topic.

Tries are pretty good and required for game models.
Ngons are quite usable for product design.

As long as your process does not require not to use the one or the other there will be nothing wrong with them.

There are often many shades of gray besides black and white.

NGONS in general are a real issue for animation and deformation because you cannot really controll how the ngon area is deformed.
But for static object modeling it is a perfect tool!

Hi cekuhnen: I, as a matter of fact intend to buy that series next week to pick up on his techniques for car modeling, and I mentioned the $60 only to let everyone know what it costs. Not everyone can afford it. After reviewing the content, it does look like it has a wealth of tips and tricks and also done with a more recent version of Blender-----2.64 I believe.

Cheers

GLakie, oh my comment was not ment in a negative way. 60$ is a lot quite some money but the product is really worth it.

Here’s where I learned to use nurbs http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html

No worries.