Good screen recorder for showing off in blender game tests

So i recently tried recording some footage of my game and I was using Fraps witch dropped my frame rate to 5! so im looking for a good recorder that has just as good of quality as fraps or better but that is light on the cpu and allows me to record with atleast 20 or 30 FPS so if you guys happen to know of any free or premium let me know please :slight_smile: oh and here are my computer specs.

Intel centrino core 2 duo 2.0 Ghz

2 GB of RAM

onboard intel mobile 4 express chipset family (witch hogs the memory)

the gpu supports GLSL direct x 10 all that good stuff

Thanks guys

Try connecting an external HDD and recording directly to it.

does that speed it up?

Using the same HDD that the OS, game engine and various other programs are running on to record means that you are putting extra stress on your HDD, but if you use a separate HDD just for recording then you might see an increase in recording fps since that HDD is only used for writing data.

If you already have an external HDD then it wouldn’t hurt to try.

That sounds like it might be a good idea, imthewolfman - I’ll have to try that out. As to a good screen recorder, try CamStudio Open-souce.

Hey I’m going to try that out. With fraps recording with blender is pretty slow, but with recording battlefield 3 was clean for me. I have a extra HDD for this.

You could also give Taksi a shot with x264. I could record at 720 alright, but not 1080. This is with an i7 (Q740). I’m not certain that the hard drive is the bottleneck in this case (at least, as far as being busy with read/writes). I don’t think most Blender games thrash the HDD enough for this. Now, offloading to something like an SSD for overall faster write speeds may help, but again, I don’t know where the bottleneck is.

EDIT:
Another note about offloading to a separate HDD. If this is an external drive such (e.g., using USB), then you’ll probably get more slow downs from the slow interface than you get speed ups from using a second drive.

On Linux, you can use the x11grab module that comes with ffmpeg.

I use it to record my video tutorials, at 1024x720, with perfect audio sync, and respectable framerates (25 - 35 fps).

The disk is definitely the bottleneck; writing to disk is a mechanical affair, where something actually needs to move in the physical world for data to be stored, and that is extremely slow, relative to how fast electrical signals can actually travel, and how fast the CPU can manage them.

An SSD would probably provide significant gains here.

Personally, I’ve found a happy medium, where, instead of writing raw data directly to disk, I write an H264 stream directly to RAM. This gets around the IO bottleneck, but, in order to actually store more than few seconds in RAM, I have to encode the video on the fly, which is something that my (fairly old) dual core processor can actually do quite well (both cores at 50%, which is acceptable, in my view).

I don’t know how Fraps works, but generally, a lower resolution will lead to a higher framerate, so if you only need 640x480, let Fraps know.

If they have options to encode on the fly, I would assume that they create an in-memory buffer to store the compressed frames, rather than storing directly to disk (you can confirm this by watching your disk activity during a Fraps session).

If not, then try to find some documentation on creating a virtual drive that maps memory, and then have Fraps save there.

ive tried camstudio before and its super fast but the quality didnt seam all that great but ill give another go thanks guys:)

I tried saving the file out to RAM and I was surprised to find no noticeable difference. I’m not sure what the problem is, but I’d expect better performance than writing to my HDD.

Thats interesting actually, coz i’ve been using this gtk-recordmydesktop for sometime and the frame rate was too low actually. even worst part was the audio sync was totally lost. i’m gonna try this,

Does your recording software encode on the fly?

If it does, then I don’t expect that you would see a very large difference, because the amount of data that you would actually write would be fairly low, so the usual disk IO latency would be negligible.

Or, at least, I’m guessing that’s the case.

Yea, I had those same troubles with gtk-recordmydeskop.

Also, being unable to save in anything other than Theora was a real drag.

Bandicam is good, seems to use the same process hooking method as FRAPS and Taksi, but with a larger recording limit per video (10 minutes) and decent codec options.

Also, thought about enabling all frames and saving JPG screenshots? It’s slow when playing, but you can then use Blender to merge all the screenshots into a fast video. (I’m not sure the python API still exists for taking screenshots, hopefully it does, tho)

@Raiderium - It does.

@Moguri / Goran - I thought that recording to the computer’s HD would take about the same amount of time as recording to external HD. The programs running on your HD are running from RAM, so it probably wouldn’t make too much of a difference.

It turned out to be an advantage actually. i just renamed the .ogv to .flv and uploaded directly to YouTube and it somehow worked. The good thing is small filesize and quality, downside was no audio and framerate issues.

Also blender itself has a screencast tool.:wink:

woudnt doing screenshots even putting them together fast woudnt that just look like low framrate?

@mrn - It would depend on the FPS you set for the playback - if each screenshot is there for a 60 FPS video and you play each at 60 per second, it would look smooth as silk. Playing the game while screen capturing usually is really slow on most computers, though.

ok so is there someway to taking snapshots with one of these programs really fast?

i tryed using fraps but it even set on taking a pic every 1 second it takes one about every 5 so it doesnt really work

also i tryed camstudio and seams to work good but for somereason when i try to play the clips back there all black or blank.

Fraps works well for me! Try looking at the framerate, make it 60fps