Good tip for creating a felt like material

Is your render going to get that close? That closeup looks like a polyester fiber felt (as opposed to a wool felt). This is actually what I was shooting for with the blend I posted above.

The two basic combo groups I used in the file posted above look like this when separated:|

Maybe the second one could be extended, shifted and piled up. It already takes several seconds to render though.

change the color for more contrast
can you show nodes or upload file
it looks like lines but vey difficult to see!

thanks

The magic node with some distortion can be pretty close actually specifically if you use it with bump as well.

2 Likes

What is interesting here is to maybe have only the thin white lines be mixed into a new material like simulating the fibers.

the camera will be not that close, so I am pushing a little too far right now of course, but I am also interested in getting a goog looking close up material as well.

what is the size of you objects here

tried your nodes but don’t really get same look

thanks

Ricky,

here is the blend file: http://cl.ly/22341S0u412d

Here’s a second try using 3 Layers with only Musgrave pinched off with a Color Ramp…

@cekuhnen… that last set of the gray pockets looks really good to me…

tried you set up but no succes
what is the plane size here ?

when i render and in preview i don’t see any patterns at all

the coloramp is it only 2 slots white on the left and black on the right?

thanks

Ricky

object scale is very important for the texture to feel right!

Also in this image the felt from a distance looks quite more like a simple noise texture, fibers you cannot see anymore but can be put in via a rim shader to brighten up the edges a little to simulate the fiber being illuminated.

Are you forced to use procedural textures? Even if there is not visible repetition on an image based shader?

Here is a felt i did some time ago, I posted here (don’t remember where, maybe the Cycles test thread or Brecht easter egg) But still on my dropbox.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58007699/Blog%20images/Felt_Node.jpg

I don’t have a “shared folder”, i meant i still had the screenshots on my dropbox folder, personal folder.

Those materials are lost, i have to reproduce them, quite easy, as soon as i get a bit of time i’ll do and share here and cycles thread the blend file.

Nooooooooooooooooooo

the texture was from CGTextures? I looked there and was not able to find a felt material like this one.
Did you get the seamless texture from somewhere else?

Also interesting idea to use the color ramp and mixing the same texture being changed via gamma and Hue Saturation nodes.

It just looks so delicate and soft around the edge rims!

1 Like

Nice renders. I have posted another felt material. It looks like this:

Appart from the texture, the difference is that I multiply it by a layer weight facing node, to get the pattern appears more in facing angles. This is the node setup:

1 Like

Hello!

I looked at your felt texture and I really liked it.
Please, tell me, if you can make some custom render felt texture pieces for me?

I need renderings of figures that I make in the program MagicaVoxel (such a voxel designer) in the texture of felt.

Please, let me know, if you are interested in this :slight_smile:

I am happy to do it

Here is my email info at ckbrd dot de

Claas