Google Chrome - Open Source Web Browser

Um.

I think that applies to mods made of the program. But don’t dare quote me on that. For this reason I shall stay away from this service indefinitely.

If I could smite google for adding that clause I would. Unfortunately I was only an archangel in my past life.:spin:

Rhymes with honey:cool:

$_$

Yeah, but honestly if Google chose to profit from your work (which is highly unlikely to begin with), there would be little if anything you can do about it - with or without this license agreement.

And besides, if they did, I bet you’d be all excited. Everyone loves Google, and if Google loves you, everyone loves you by extension!

I can’t find a Linux version…

Its windows only right now. Linux and Mac are “coming soon”.

Well, its open source, right? So, where can I download the source so I can compile it?

Or is it not that simple?

That seems to be a hard question to answer. According to Google, the Linux ports are in early development.

Its looks like you can get v8, though. As well as Chromium (upon which Chrome is supposed to be based, or according to this is the source). According to a Digg page, the Chrome source might be here, but I get a 403.

It appears though, that it might somewhat work on Linux: http://dev.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/build-instructions-linux, just not perhaps the interface?

If google isn’t presenting cross-platform builds, though, my guess is they don’t exist yet, or not well enough for them to stick their name behind it. I would seriously doubt they would leave out millions of users if they didn’t feel it necessary.

Alright. I trust Google (I don’t trust most large corporations, but I somehow feel safe with Google), and I just signed up for the specialty Google Chrome for Linux newsletter, with Google promising that they will notify me right when they release the Linux version.

So, I guess I’ll have to wait.

Funny thing is, I was thinking one day about interesting ways that I would build a browser of my own, and a lot of those things are in Google Chrome. So, even if I stay with Firefox for now, I still want to try out Google Chrome.

I trust Google (I don’t trust most large corporations, but I somehow feel safe with Google)

It does feel safer so far. They won us all over by being better and giving us free stuff.

In the other hand, the content clause is vague enough to get me thinking.

Damn google! That’s just another browser added to the list for web developers to debug :frowning:

I just downloaded Chrome! It’s superb! And really fast too. Only thing is, I cant find a home page button to go directly to Google. That kind of sucks. And I just realized, that it’s got an auto correct system, and it highlights the active box. Yippee! No more bad spelling/grammar!

Just one drawback: It doesn’t seem to allow the middle-mouse button. You know, to scroll faster. Oh well, you cant have everything…

must say that the speed and memory comsuption is just amazing. chrome uses roughly the half of the memory that Firefox uses and is alot faster.

I’m finding that the more tabs you open in Chrome, the more memory it uses in comparison to Firefox. Substantially more.

Open both browsers, open about 5 tabs, each with the same address, then type about:memory in the Chrome url box. As you open more tabs, Chrome starts using a lot more memory.

Oh. Well, there’s another drawback…

Also, Is the Virtual memory more important or Private memory? i.e., As far as speed is concerned?

Attachments

LOL… Did you just make that up?

no, don’t have time to, but i got time to search for those on the web, which is still a waste of time :stuck_out_tongue:

Press Ctrl + U or go to the top left icon which looks something like ‘new page’ and go to Developers => View Source in Google Chrome.

I don’t have it, I can’t find the download link for the Windows version.

WHAT? But I’ve got Windows XP too, and it’s working fine! Have you triedthis?

I’m not in XP. I’m in Linux, and I think the site automatically detects that you’re on Linux because it has no download button, just a button to sign up to have you notified when they make the Linux version.

I think Google also gained my trust through Google Summer of Code.

That said, your link worked for me, so I’m now installing through WINE.

Well, if you’re like me and like to flip between tabs and previous/next pages a lot, then it’s really fast. Really, really, really fast.

No, not at all, Chrome makes itself known as “AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.149.27 Safari/525.13” :ba:

Oh my… this must have been the best post I’ve read today :evilgrin:

If you were actually serious, that’s not the source he was asking for. This is: http://code.google.com/chromium/