Google Summer of Code - 2017 - we need a GIF to advertise it on twitter/facebook/etc.

With the gif or the text?

Don’t use that tagline, it looks disrespectful. If you’re capable of taking part in a Blender GSOC, you can find a better summer job than “flipping burgers”. In fact, if you’re capable of taking part in a Blender GSOC, you probably could do better than a taking part in a Blender GSOC!

I agree, it looks awful, but your work also looks awful, so I wouldn’t bother. Just being honest.

Apparently, not. Maybe go with the awful one you posted initially, it’s still the best.

bigbad,

either or.

Flip burgers is a widely known metaphor for ‘lame job’ - I doubt anyone would take it literally. That said it could be rewritten as “Why spend the summer writing database queries or tedious business logic when you could be coding this?”

How about …

Why take a summer job coding this?

When you could code this?

If you are a college student who knows how to program, apply for Google Summer of Code with Blender and create 3D animation tools, and you can have the best coding summer job ever.

Looking at this, and then looking at the mailing list discussions, I don’t really know if a .gif animation to advertise coding for Blender is even needed to be honest.

The reason I say that is that the BF does not seem to have much, if any trouble attracting students the way things are (in fact the greater need, I would argue, is a way to ensure a higher rate of student projects actually getting into Master). Too many promising projects end up in the dustbin and it’s a shame to let all of that useful code and all of those new useful features rot away.

How about this:

“It’s that time of the year. Summer. Don’t let this be just any summer. Let it be Google summer of code 2017 and develop Blender, the worlds most versatile 3D creation suite in the world. Get experience, fun and paychecks. To apply and to find out more go to blender.org

I whipped up a quick one. I’m unclear what the intent is, so I just winged the size. Unfortunately, I’m swamped too much to fiddle with it. So take it or leave it.

xrg and bigbad,

thanks for your contributions.

xrg,

Ton liked your simple and clean idea. He posted it to twitter.

Thanks!

Ah, cool. Glad it worked out okay.

Here is a looping GIF. Looping things always attract attention :slight_smile:
http://pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=113692

Any text can be added in top and bottom.
It’s a bit heavy (4.5 MiB), I render 24 fps. But anyway, I think it can be optimized.

Edit:
Try it on Chrome/Chromium. On my machine with Firefox gif plays with jumps.

You’re still presenting a false dilemma. Just drop that whole idea. You’re not competing with an intern position at iniTECH, you’re competing with over 500 other GSOC organizations.

Anyway, I believe the problem has been amicably solved!

Too late, he already received a good idea :smiley:

Also, I’m pretty sure the practice of intentionally posting in threads one does not like in order to kill it is frowned upon.

BeerBaron,

I suspect I understand who the potential recruitment pool is quite a bit better than you, appreciate your advice though. Anyway is a moot point.

But do you, really?

Huh? I’m just passing by. I’ve never wanted to “kill a thread”. If I wanted to kill this thread, I would open up a discussion about right-click-select.

Speaking of which, since implementing the whole left-click-select thing properly seems to be a really tough computer science problem (at least when it comes to Blender), maybe that would be a great idea for a GSOC!

Looks like from your posting history your primary forum goal is trolling…

That said - yes I understand our applicant pool quite a bit better. For instance we are basically not competing at all with other GSoC programs for participants. Almost all applicants are not from people browsing the 500 GSoC projects. They tend to come from

1. Current Users/Developers
  2. Friends of Current Users/Developers
  3. Recommendations from instructors
  4. Direct recruitment on relevant forums or direct contact with the developer due to them ‘catching our eye’

GSoC is still extremely poorly publicized by Google so people who aren’t already actively engaged with an open source project rarely become aware of it. I’d estimate that far less than 1/10th of 1% of eligible developers are aware that GSoC even exists.

So your claim about ‘competing with 500 other GSoC programs’ is mistaken, they are largely irrelevant to our GSoC recruiting effort. Also even if they were ‘competition’ there is rarely overlapping interest of programmers for projects - someone who loves working on Window managers rarely has interest (or competence) in 3D and vice versa.

It is far more important to enlarge the pool, then it is to try and sway students from other GSoC projects.

Nobody respects this forum more than I do, these are baseless allegations. SAD!

So your claim about ‘competing with 500 other GSoC programs’ is mistaken, they are largely irrelevant to our GSoC recruiting effort.

Eh, so a comparison against “flipping burgers”, “writing database queries” or working on some customer data type is valid, but not a comparison against the other GSOC projects? I think you’re trying hard to miss my point.

Didn’t you suggest before (some time back) that you crap on threads intentionally for ‘funsies’?

If I started making trouble in threads simply because I didn’t like the subject, the moderators would delete my posts and perhaps give me a temporary ban (and why I haven’t seen a crackdown on this type of post yet I do not know, noting how they are now showing an intense disrespect towards a longtime stalwart of the Blender project)

More baseless allegations… quote me on that, or forever hold your peace!

If I started making trouble in threads simply because I didn’t like the subject…

Who says I don’t like the subject? I don’t care about the subject. I saw an example of poor advertising and I commented on it.