Got a new graphic card just install

I install a new Arcade FX with Nvidia GeForce FX chip “5200” with 128 MB DDR. AGP 8X with Cinematic 3D/2D Video Graphics Accelerator. DVI/TV/S-Video out. Made by Best Data

The graphic seems to be good, even has AO But it seems a little slow. I’m using the Generic driver version which is GeForce FX (Generic) Its using Xfree 4.3. So I’m not sure if its the xfree or the driver. “Hints are welcome” But I try to search for the company driver version see if that might do it. No longer stalls or crash (so far) which is the only great news for me.

I have a 5200, upgrading tomorrow. Crap card for games, but it runs blender decently.

I change a few things in my bios setting, seem to be running ok. Not the best but not the worst either. I know it’s not the best card, but I was short on money this month. I look through the CD and still no factory driver for linux I take a look at the website.

Hey, with a DVI and TV out including DVD support it’s not that bad of a deal.

Ok, I’m trying to find a linux driver for my make and model, got an athlon AMD and not sure if that the IA32, IA64 or what. Anyways the only linux driver I found is this one http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-6629.html
Now is this for the one I have ?

Yeah, that’s it.

-Raseri

Cool, wish me luck, hugs and kisses

I think you’ve probably already got these set, but make sure that in your /etc/XF86Config-4 file you’ve got:

Load “glx”

and make sure the driver is “nvidia” instead of “nv”

I hope you mean AA. If your video card has AO…that would rock :slight_smile:

Roel

haha, u bought a FX 5200. Bad move. I bought a FX 5500 with 256 Megs of ram and Unrealtournament lags like a b****. Runs blender OK, but could be better. Can’t do anything for games though.

Hey, I was short on money, as long it can run the average games, that’s fine with me.

lol, yea me too. Thats why I got the 5500. But I was given the impression that it would be able to make the new games play moderetly well. I guess it would if you already had a super comp. :-?

I buyed one 2 month ago. to replace a gforce 2, it do the job very well. i can play doom3 at medium graphic, which is all i ask for.

I don’t even have Doom3. I got alot of freeware games like Cube and Jdoom. I’ll be able to create some games myself now that my computer won’t crash anymore. It crash so much you could bet on it, when ever Xscreensaver, modeling in blender or try make a game in Blender. It crash. You don’t think having a graphic card that can handle 3d and doesn’t crash don’t make me happy ? Because it does, no other way to have it. If I wanted more I would of stick with Windows. That’s where are the usefull and easy programs are at.

I buyed one 2 month ago. to replace a gforce 2, it do the job very well. i can play doom3 at medium graphic, which is all i ask for.[/quote]

A 5200 can play doom3 at med settings and not lag??? What are your other computer specs? On my 5500 doom3 would lag at lowest settings.

P4 2.4 512mo ram. nothing crazy.
But doom3 standard is missconfigured.
look here:
tweak guide, cause there is some little config in the config file you can change and gain a lot of fps.
Also doom3 connot be played on linux for the moment if it’s your case. The game is compiled without intel optimisation, major slowdown! it’s like running doom3 on a p1!

if you are running windows XP you can change some system options to make games play fast.

myt brother had lagging problems on his laptop in morrowind and none of the in-game settings changed anything.

he went and changed the graphics settings through windows, and got about 4x the framerate.

i can find out the setting he changed if any windows users are interested
i think it was the GFX acceleration. you have a slider, and rather than sliding it to “use full graphics acceleration” he needed to slide it down to somthing about 1/2 way.

Alltaken

I have a 5200 and it runs descent 2 just fine!! oh lol :wink:

(its been ported to linux!! w00t w00t!)

Also, blender runs quite fast with FX5200, and i generally deal with a high poly count when im using blender.

Not a bad choice, I just hope it was a cheapie :wink: I wouldnt pay >$89 for a FX5200 nowdays… im going for a 6800 and an athlon64 board soon :smiley:

Why not go for a duel athlon 64 board. Get DFI it’s a good brand

Well, I got that glx thing to work, but is it suppose to still say genaric for nvidia fx ? I’m wondering when there is going to be a professional option. Anyways, it runs great and the colors and lighting are ten times better.

[quote=“Alltaken”]

if you are running windows XP you can change some system options to make games play fast.

myt brother had lagging problems on his laptop in morrowind and none of the in-game settings changed anything.

he went and changed the graphics settings through windows, and got about 4x the framerate.

i can find out the setting he changed if any windows users are interested
i think it was the GFX acceleration. you have a slider, and rather than sliding it to “use full graphics acceleration” he needed to slide it down to somthing about 1/2 way.

Alltaken[/quote]

How can I do this? If there is any way to get a better performance out of my card without forking out any money I’m all for it. I want to know any possible way of speeding up my games without completely dropping the graphics settings. All I want is to be able to play the new games on average settings with no lag. I thought I would be albe to do that when I bought the card. So if there is a way to speed things up, I’d like to know.