Gotham

Nodevember 9: black. “Gotham”

With this prompt, I can go back to one of my passions: black and white. I have recreated a building that appears in Tim Burton’s Gotham using Substance Designer, and then I’ve setup a scene and animation with Blender.

The first render is an over the top Batman-esque render using Blender’s Eevee.
The second render is a realistic, flat material showcase using Blender’s Cycles.

I’ve also created an animation using Eevee, as I think this scene was too cool to go unused. Nothing special, but I had fun creating a simple, Gotham-esque glimpse.
The falling snow is inspired by Wes Anderson’s The French Dispatch.
The music is Gothamlicious by Kevin MacLeod.

gotham89
Here is the picture that I have used as a reference. I have changed the proportions of the building to make it fit a single square texture (ideally it would be done using multiple textures, of course, but hey!).

I want to stress two points. First, how much fun it is to create facades using Substance Designer. It’s really what I love the most creating, and I think I’ll focus on it for a while after Nodevember, as it’s just too cool and fun.

Second, speaking of Blender, Cycles with Blender 3.0 has become a lightning, but I’m still amazed by Eevee’s render times. Each frame of that video was rendered at a resolution of 1920x1920 at about 4 seconds per frame. Not bad at all for my modest RTX 2060.

2 Likes

It is quite cool but what does it have to do with NODEvember …what did you create USING NODES?

Of course. Sorry, I should have been clearer. The texture set that constitutes the building is procedurally built using Substance Designer, which is a node-based software. Here is the node tree:

I have then imported the texture set in Blender to create two renders, one using Cycles to showcase the texture and one using Eevee, to create a Gothamesque animation with volumetrics and cool lighting.

1 Like